Windows 7 & 10 on one machine?

Thanks for that, and for the suggestions.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Thanks.

Reply to
Bert Coules

As long as you do not want the data and programs shared I'd imagine so, I also know you can run other versions of windows inside 10, but not tried it. I'm happy with 7, mainly due to legacy software that 10 can be configured for but often gets trashed on major updates so I'm not bothering, though it might be good to get access to the new improved Narrator Need an email and news group program with the same shortcut keys as outlook express. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

The Natural Philosopher used his keyboard to write :

I used to run two Win versions, on two partitions selected via a bootloader app.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Something like virtualbox will run on most platforms and let you install most guest OSes as well.

There is a fairly straightforward guide here:

John Rumm

Thanks for that, John. I'll take a look.

Reply to
Bert Coules

But have you tried this on a modern PC?

The app I used was EasyBCD. It will run OK on Win10, but not allow you to boot a Win7 HD. If you go to their site, it explains why.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Thanks for that info. If it can't handle Windows 7, then EasyBCD clearly isn't a workable solution for me. The experiments continue...

Reply to
Bert Coules

If you happen to be running Windows 10 PROFESSIONAL, you will have Hypervisor installed.

Go to Type here to seach box in bottom left hand corner and type in:

Hyper-v quick create

click yes to do you allow winodws to make changes to this device

A window pops up and you have 4 available by default options of MSIX, Ubuntu 18.04.3, Ubuntu 20.04.1 or Windows 10 dev environment

You also have the local installation source option button below that and you can use a windows 7 install disc on your win 10 box.

Its been a while since I last used windows 7, I am not sure if (a) you can run Hyper-v or even if Win 10 will actually run within a Win 7 host machine.

Reply to
No Name

It can handle Win7. I used it successfully with Win7 and XP for ages. When I was forced to upgrade that machine to Win10 (used an additional SSD and clean Win10 Pro), the MB wouldn't work. So I bought a new MB. The BIOS boot structure on that - although having a legacy option - won't work with the old Win7 which is on a separate SSD.

If you need the proper explanation, EasyBCD gave one. Although I didn't understand it fully.

On Win10, Easy BCD does load - and shows all the OS choices on that machine at boot. But only Win10 works.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

That's a bit worrying. Are you sure they haven't hidden this option in "expert mode" behind multiple "here be dragons" warnings? Or F8?

How are you supposed to boot a failed PC from a USB stick or CD/DVD if you cannot alter the boot order of the system drives? It is my standard line of attack for getting into seemingly unbootable corrupted PCs.

(most have screwed up their OS binaries to an unbootable state - Win10 on portables after patch Tuesday seem extremely prone to doing this)

Reply to
Martin Brown

uk.comp.homebuilt tend to be pretty good at this sort of stuff.

Reply to
RJH

Since he has win 7 and wants to try 10, it would seem like running a virtualised win 10 on the 7 platform would be easier than the other way around.

(also he can install 10 without providing a key, and without activating, and it will continue to work, whereas 7 would only run for a few days without activation)

Reply to
John Rumm

You can set it to boot from any drive as normal. But Win10 uses EFI boot mode. Win7, not. And if I've read things correctly you can't have BIOS that does both at will. Or at least not on this recent and very expensive MB.

I can physically remove all the HDs and SSDs except the Win7 one. And regardless of BIOS settings, it won't boot.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Hmm, I upgraded from Win 7/32 PRO OEM to Win 10 and I can see that Hyper-v is in the list of features and not enabled.

Will it run on a 4Gbyte 32 bit installation ?. Although I'm not sure if it would be of any use to me.

Reply to
Andrew

You will also have Windows 10 Sandbox open to you. This is really useful for visiting websites of uncertain provenance or if you want to download soemthing and virus check it.

If it goes t*ts up, just close the Sandbox....

Reply to
No Name

Another feature I'd not heard of. I really should get myself a decent manual and give the software a proper chance. Any recommendations?

Reply to
Bert Coules

I don't bother with manuals. its all self taught knowledge from reading reputable websites liek bleepingcomputer.com, or

and also read PC Pro.

Heres some useful links for Sandbox...

No Name

I prefer a printed book but the problem is that so many of them are really poorly written.

I don't have Sandbox on my (non-pro) version of Win10.

Reply to
Bert Coules

You might find this useful :-)

No Name