Windows!!

Can some knowledgible person explain how to stop W7 pro from throwing a hissy fit whenever I try to open an open source file saved in odt? I'm using open office 4.1.3

Reply to
Tim Lamb

details of the "hissy fit" would help ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

This sounds more like an application problem rather than a Windows issue.

Unless this is for a specific file issue.

Have you tried opening the file in something like Notepad++, or a different program?

OpenOffice has been defunct for years, is there any reason why you haven't migrated to LibreOffice?

Reply to
Fredxx

Basically Windows uses *the user account control settings* on a global basis rather than allowing specific software to be permitted.

I can reduce the level of *protection* but at the risk of letting something else in!

Hissy fit.

I need to give a single permission rather than global.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Does it, mine does not. I turned uac off and when it gets the thing about are you sure you want to do this it has a don't ask me again thingy so I check it, and it won't.

Or do you have that nasty avast on your system, in which case, reformat and start again. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Both companies/organisations need to finish the job of getting rid of java dependency on the other office bits or it will never be much good as Java seem unable to make a bug free accessible system that is in any way at all reliable and speedy and accessible. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

If software is properly installed you shouldn't see any UAC messages when running it, e.g. to open a file. As others have suggested, OO if not dead is at least moribund, I'd also suggest you install LO instead.

Reply to
Andy Burns

What's wrong with Avast OOI and who on earth would you have to reformat to get rid of it (or whatever)?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

It?s Brian. You shouldn?t expect useful advice.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I have no problems with W7 Pro using Libre Office opening .odt files.

You could try reinstalling the software assuming that it is the latest version and recent.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Why are you feeding T r o l l ?

Reply to
Tim Streater

In message , Brian-Gaff writes

I'm using AVG.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Ah. That might be relevant. I'm only using it for word processing so haven't bothered with checking for updates.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

They're essentially the same thing now.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I've used Open Office with W7 Pro and never had a problem

Reply to
bert

In message , bert writes

OK I am now up to date. There is a bit in the *read me* file about forcing open office use. Bit beyond my competence. I'll see how it goes and report problems. Java is required for some functions but I don't know anything about that.

Reply to
Tim Lamb