window friction hinge problem

The hinge on our window buckled when pulled a bit too hard. I don't
think it helped that the runners had not been oiled for a while.
Should I use 3 in1 or WD40 for this in the future?
I see that there are two types of friction hinge: a 13mm and a 17mm.
What is this: their depth? Across which point do I measure this?
I bought a pair but I notice the holes do not line up with the ones in
the original. Is this a problem? What is behind the uPVC? Is it a
wooden frame? If so, could I just put the screw where the new holes
Or are these holes in key positions and should I drill a hole in the
hinge to align with the existing hole?
Thank you for your help in advance.
Reply to
A light smear of 3 in 1
It's the width across if my memory serves me right.
Just insert the screws into the frame using the holes in the new hinges - different makes have different locations. Just remember not to overtighten the screws as the 'thread' will easily strip in the uPVC.
AND buy the 'proper' screws for the job from the hinge supplier.
TIP: if the thread has stripped in UPVC - and providing it's the original screw, it's possible to buy slightly fatter 'repair' screws to overcome this problem. (Possibly teaching granny to suck eggs here though)?
Generally nothing in the uPVC - unless the window or sash is of such a size that it needs reinforcement - and that will usually be either steel or aluminium.
No - see reply above.
Reply to
Brian G
On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 15:09:49 +0100, "Brian G" wrote:
Thanks for your advice.
Is a upvc window just a plastic frame then? I never knew that. I always thought the plastic covered a frame of wood or metal or something.
Reply to
That's all a UPVC frame is - a hollow, extruded lump of plastic that comes in various shapes and sizes - have a look at the profile here
formatting link
Reply to
Brian G
Agreed with your comment on spacers, but I have also been involved with the manufacture and installation of 'plastic' windows where reinforcing was necessary in sashes (opening lights) due to their size - albeit some years ago now.
This reinforcing is generally not used to keep the frames square, but to stop/reduce long, individual stiles etc from bending over their length.
Brian G
Reply to
Brian G
On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 13:19:17 +0100 Brian G wrote :
opening lights are held square by the glass, thus the need for accurate placement of spacers.
Reply to
Tony Bryer
I presume the reply is to my post?
The reinforcing shown in that picture is for illustration only. It does not form part of the manufacturing process of the plastic profile - that is just plastic.
This reinforcing is loosely 'slipped into' the plastic during the making of the actual window or door as required to strenghten the required component(s) because of their length or weight they have to carry.
Brian G
Reply to
Brian G

Site Timeline Threads

HomeOwnersHub website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.