Window cill conundrum

I set off to fit the window cill to the frame and became unsure of the correct fitting.

Pictures are:

far as I can see there should be a gap at the front for concealed drainage - so that looks O.K. However there is a gap at the back of the cill where the ridge on the window does not quite fit into the groove on the cill. This means that if fitted together as shown in the third picture all contact between the window frame and the cill is resting on the two central ridges which is not a particularly stable arrangement.

I was expecting the cill and frame to fit together snugly in an obvious way but this is the best that I can achieve. If the cill had been flat all the way to the back ridge then it would have fitted much more securely and also had much less chance of moving out of a

90 degree angle between the cill and the frame.

Is this perhaps a feature instead of a bug in that the join is near the centre of the cill and frame and this allows the two to be flexed so that irregularities in the opening can be accounted for e.g. forward/backward sloping bottom of aperture?

Again, the online guides just say 'fit cill to frame' and don't give much detail.

Anyone who has done this - please advise!

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

It appears that you might have the wrong cill for that frame

- possibly a door cill. The rear upstand on mine is a full inch high to prevent water draining inwards and there was certainly no unsteady behaviour when I fitted them. Can you contact your supplier for more information?

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

B&Q are doing their chocolate fireguard impression at the moment.

I have Googled the profile manufacturer, Duraflex, and emailed a technical query to them. According to an online chart

appear to have the 3570S frame profile and the 3578S cill so the parts seem right. It still seems strange to have only two points of contact, and those close together. I shall await a response with interest.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

******************* Damn - 6001 frame profile. 3640 cill. The 3570S and 3578S are the metal reinforcing *******************
Reply to
David WE Roberts

> As far as I can see there should be a gap at the front for concealed

Swift and helpful response from Duraflex:

"I have attached a cross section of the casement window positioned on a

150mm cill, the centre legs are the "support " legs, the front has to slope away on the cill to facilitate the concealed drainage path. The back leg would be bedded on a continuous bead of silicone to provide a weather tight seal.

I have not shown the screw position because fitters will either screw from the bottom directly into the frame or from the top behind the bead channel before glazing, if the later method is used then silicone should be applied to the pre drilled hole before the screw is inserted. "

Full marks to their technical support team :-)

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net...

Or you fix the sill to the opening first, using frame fixings and pack / level up. Silicone to seal the fixings. Then self-tappers though the window frame into the sill, but not all the way through to the brick. I've found this to be the best solution. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson