Will the wrong jet size in my boiler cause it to trip

I have a 055 jet in my boiler at the minute, The sticker on the boile

says to use a 0.65 jet. Would this cause the boiler to constantly tri and need reset?

The boiler man told me it was the right size of jet in it, but i doesn't match what it says on the boiler

-- technics100

Reply to
technics100

The acid test is to measure the burner pressure and the rate of gas consumption (see FAQ) and see if is between 90% and 105% of the data on the rating plate when the pressure is set correctly (within +/- 0.25 mBar)

If it checks out then just forget it - otherwise obtain and fit the right jet.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

When you say 'trip' you presumably mean a lockout? Does the boiler sound the same when running? Have you cleaned the optical sensor lately? I'd try this first. If still locking out and if the flame sounds different I'd get the specified jet. They're only five quid. I speculate that the wrong jet might produce more carbon? Anyone know?

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

I've missed the OP but coming in here the straight answer is most likely NOT The number is the throughtput rating in US GPH at 100 psi so a smaller jet than specified will cause weaker running and may lead to reduced heat output and smells from the exhaust. I say may since it is possible to compensate for the smaller jet by increasing the pump pressure within limits. Depending on the fuel this is sometimes done deliberately to improve the atomisation with a heavier fuel. Also worth noting is the use of different size jets to adjust the output rating of the boiler according to the manufacturers installation and service manual. If you are in any doubt you should refer to this booklet. BTW what make and model of boiler and burner do you have?

See above

No it won't produce more carbon in this case as the burn will be weaker. See above, however I'm hoping the OP will come back with fuller information.

Reply to
John

The Boiler is Trianco, The sequential control is indeed a Sartronic 830

I dont know where the burner is, The oil pump is Danfoss Type BFP 11LS the motor is bentone with a box above it which is Danfoss Type EBI.

The boiler has just had new motor, oil pump and photocell, within th last few months. The boiler keeps tripping. The boiler man says th oil has water in it and is clogging up the jet. He has replaced th jet 3 times but the boiler keeps tripping. I have drained the botto of the tank and there isn't any water in it.. (plastic tank) I don; know what to do next. any ideas..

cheer

-- technics100

Reply to
technics100

I'm sure this is word for word a repeat of an old post from a few weeks ago. Are you saying you are still having the same problem or is the web bouncing repeated posts around again?

Reply to
John

Same problem, it hasn't went away..

-- technics100

Reply to
technics100

Bit of a mystery. One last thought. Does it trip immediately? In other words does it never ignite? If so then it could be that the transformer, wires or ignitor electrodes are faulty. The wires can decay after a while, especially if you have ever had poor running and the heat had come back out of the chamber. Its easy to replace them. They're just like car plug leads. If it starts up, runs for a while then trips this will not be the problem.

Hmm.. Another last thought. I used the safety valve as an on-off valve for a while. Then the solder wore away and it leaked and I had to replace it. This might also restrict the flow of oil and cause a flame-out. This causes a trip on my boiler, though this is a guess in your case.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

Going by the sizes (0.55 & 0.65) and the term jet I read it as an oil boiler Ed

Reply to
John

I realised my mistake just _after_ I pressed the send button.

Reply to
Ed Sirett