Wiki:Plug socket

NT :

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Good point. But isnt that term used in the trade? Even if questionably.

NT

Reply to
NT

Yes, it's 'traditional'. BS 1363 and BS 7671 refer merely to 'plugs'.

'Socket' is wrong though, if we're being formal. 'Socket-outlet' (hyphenated) is the kosher term.

So may I suggest the captions: "*Plug* (or *plug-top*)" and "*socket-outlet* (or simply *socket*)".

Oh and your picture is of a twin switched socket-outlet. For the context, a picture of a single unswitched socket would be better.

Reply to
Andy Wade

Yes, I just dont have one to hand. Another day.

NT

Reply to
NT

Great. But it might be advisable to include 2A, 5A, 10A (yes, really!) and 16A connectors (as well as the variety of IEC plugs and sockets widely used for computery-type things).

Even 2-pin type plugs/sockets. AND d.c. connectors in their numerous forms...f

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Actually a lamp socket *can* take a plug. Though admittedly it usually doesn't.

Agreed. That's mainly because of the hyphen, which IMO shouldn't be there.

It's just as much for *input* of electricity as output, being part of an electrical circuit. I agree that in a sense it's an outlet for power.

Speaking for myself I call it a "13 amp socket". Into which goes a "13 amp plug". In most contexts I omit the "13 amp" because it's obvious.

I don't get it. You're using a computer aren't you? The computer is positively bristling with sockets that you put plugs into. But you're saying that "plug socket" makes it clear that you don't mean any of them?

Reply to
Mike Barnes

If you only refer to the outside part of those connectors they do. You have a male and female same as all others. The fact the business part that carries the electricity is reversed from the norm is ignored. Or rather that's the convention I was taught when dealing with audio etc connecters

- go by the body.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I don't think I'd call them sockets when they're on the back of my computer, more likely "female connector" or jack.

Reply to
tinnews

Sockets is what they are though. You might plug a jack into one of them, though - typically into the headphone or mic socket.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I suppose that depends on what you actually use your computer for.

Reply to
thirty-six

No. Traditionally the "jack" is a socket into which a plug goes. Hence the term "jack plug" is really an oxymoron :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

and with "jacking" contacts on the back, too.

Reply to
charles

Ah, but what if your computer has a RS232 serial port... that uses a male connector on the machine, and the "socket" goes on the end of the lead.

Reply to
John Rumm

I'd throw it in the bin as being 10 years out of date.

Nice try but you can't use those terms for RS232 connectors.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Quite useful to have one when dealing with things like switches or filers.

Reply to
Clive George

And "ring circuit" is also wrong. It's "final ring circuit".

IMHO the whole article seems to be a waste of space.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Or my still perfectly functional UPS.

Reply to
Huge

Well, what would I plug my modem or my graphics tablet into? The former gets very little use apart from sending the occasional fax. The latter are still rather pricey to replace...

If you can use the term for a Centronics printer port, then you can use it for a serial one. Same connector, different sex. ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Or ring final circuit even ;-)

Well partly... could probably be done simply as a redirect from the colloquial terms to the articles about the proper items.

Might be worth an article on things like sockets, since there are a few misconceptions that float about regarding those etc.

Reply to
John Rumm