And you thought that it was urban myth

My sister-in-law died yesterday.

Now, several years ago, she worked in China for a while, was sick and was in hospital. She has recently suffered kidney failure which was at the root of her being sick. It now transpires that she only had one kidney, the other one had ... disappeared

Reply to
geoff

My wife has only one kidney. This was discovered during scans she had when they were looking to see if her cancer had spread.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Sorry to hear that...

With help?

Reply to
John Rumm

I don't think anyone could nick a kidney without it being rather obvious, even if you were in a hospital. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The lad I raced sidecars with in my yoof had only one kidney .. the scar was such that it would have been immediately apparent to anyone that he'd had surgery.

I had another friend who also had a single kidney, no scar. He'd been like that from birth without knowing until he had a scan for something else!

Reply to
Paul - xxx

The scar from kidney removal is huge. Looks like you've been filleted like a fish. That's why *donating* a kidney is a much bigger deal than receiving one (in surgical terms).

Reply to
Huge

Was there evidence that there'd ever been a second one?

Reply to
Tim Streater

In message , Brian Gaff writes

I suppose it depends how ill you are and what drugs you're given

Reply to
geoff

A bit late to find out now

Reply to
geoff

... crickets ...

Reply to
Gib Bogle

The silence was deafening...

I *still* think it's an urban myth.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

No reason to think there wasn't

Not something you normally go out of your way to find out unless there's a problem, is it

Reply to
geoff

Happened to a schoolfriend of mine. He was pissing blood after a rugby injury, a scan showed he only had one kidney so couldn't afford to lose one, banned from playing rugby again.

Reply to
Alan Braggins

I recall reading of someone who found they had 4 kidneys. IIRC, he donated a couple of them.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Unless her original condition required surgery in the appropriate area, surely the presence of a large scar would have been noticed?

OTOH, iif kidney trouble was the cause of her original condition, then the cure required the removal of a kidney, and either nobody ever told her or the explanation was lost in translation...

-- Halmyre

Reply to
Halmyre

No reason to think there was from your posts. The scar would be the giveaway, unless you think it was removed by Uri Geller.

Nothing you have said points to it being anything other than an urban myth.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Just don't know, and now we never will