Replacing toilet

A hairline crack has appeared in the toilet. It runs up from the floor, across just in front of and under the bowl lip, and then down to the floor again. The bowl is bedded onto what looks like a bed of tile grout (though that may be grout applied over the bowl/floor join) over ceramic tiles on 12mm WBP ply which is screwed down to T&G with a multitude of screws.

What do I bed it onto when I replace it?

Normally, nothing, with a couple of screws into the floor to stop it moving. If it's on "continuous" tiles you would need to drill clearance holes. I suppose you could put it down on a bead of clear silicone, especially if they are a bit uneven.

Reply to
Newshound

Silicone might be an idea as there is a tile joint running underneath at right angles to the toilet's length and the floor has a slight slope down from rear to front. If I do that to remove the slope, how do I stop the silicone from squishing out before the toilet is 'set' in the horizontal?

Yes. I found this a most excellent trick.

I placed the loo in the right poistion, ran a pencil line around the floor (could use masking tape) to mark the edge of the base.

Good bead of high quality strong silicone, leaving 4 gaps, into which I inserted 3mm packers leaving enough to pull then out later.

Place bog onto packers and silicone bead and leave (without screwing, but you could if you wanted) for 24h (if this is practical).

Remove packers, trim silicone with a slight undercut and apply white (or whatever) silicone to form a nice finish, injecting harder where the packers used to be.

It will feel a bit elastic for a few days but will firm up nicely after then.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Or copper?

Reply to