Wiki: Electrical connectors

We've got a small amount of cloth-covered wire in our place (needless to say, I'm gradually replacing it!) which is joined using some kind of combination of those two. The wires are twisted together and covered in cloth tape, but are also filled with some kind of "rubbery goop" (which is actually quite tacky these days, but I suspect was a lot firmer when it was originally done).

Nasty horrible way of doing it, anyway. The old cloth-covered wire's a nightmare too - after 60-odd years the internal insulation like to turn to dust if you so much as sneeze near it.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

We had some of that in Hounslow. Where it came out of the conduit into the fusebox the insulation had departed completely and was lying a dust in the bottom. The wires didn't touch simply because they happened to be bent into the sort of shape that didn't touch.

I didn't touch, either - one of the few joys of renting was that it was SEP.

Reply to
Skipweasel