Wiki: Bathroom Electrics

Minor pedantic comments:

- I would use 'outside the zones' or 'outside zones' rather than 'unzoned' as those are the phrases used in the Regs and OSG.

- The words 'protective equipotential bonding' are defined in section 2 of the Regs. So I would use them on the first relevant occurence even if you want to shorten the mouthful to main bonding and supplementary bonding later in the article. Admittedly the Regs are a bit random on this point.

- 'water in electricity in close proximity' should read 'water and electricity.....'

Regards Bruce

Reply to
BruceB

And that the connection and label are resistant to corrosion (etc.).

You might think that but it seems to be something the NICEIC have a strong point of view about. There's an article in their 'Snags & Solutions' booklet about the one true way to fit a BS 951 clamp. The inference is that other ways, such as shown in the picture I mentioned, should fail inspection.

They also deprecate practices like cable tying an earthing or bonding wire to the pipe it's connected to - the argument being that a water/gas/etc./ pipe isn't part of the electrical installation and shouldn't be used as a cable support. There's a reg. in BS 7671 that says that reasonably foreseeable operations on a non-electrical service (i.e. work by plumbers, etc.) shouldn't affect the electrical services.

Reply to
Andy Wade

Is there anything is the gas regs that requires a plumber replacing a gas pipe to either

a) leave the old clamp just dangling on the bonding wire next to the gas meter? or b) to cut the bonding wire and just leave it dangling?

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Pass(!) - All I know is that they are supposed to maintain continuity with a temporary 'jump lead' when interrupting pipework. This is to avoid the risk of any sparking igniting escaped gas, AIUI.

Reply to
Andy Wade

I can count the number of times I have seen a corgi (aka gas safe) bod do that on no fingers ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Yup. I would prefer to see a eye crimp on the end of the wire as well...

Reply to
John Rumm

I have also never seen that happen. That reminds me, I must take the sticker off the padlock that I "always" use to lock off MCBs when I am at work. The NICIEC inspector pointed out that the sticker covers the keyhole and it also covered it on last years inspection.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

And he did not think to mention this last year? ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm