Wifi repeater WN3500NP and virtual MACs

Trying to improve my wifi coverage, I have just bought a used Netgear WN3500NP repeater. It just connects to my main router (OpenWRT) via wifi and provides an additional access point further away. All is working fine, but I notice one peculiarity...

I have my main router, the one which connects to my FTTC set up to do the DHCP allocation of IP's, with everything allocated by the router its own static IP, based on its MAC.

Now, everything which connects via the repeater, is given a virtual MAC, with the first three sets of MAC numbers changed.

Problem is, items which connect via the repeater - things which once had static IP's, now have to have a dynamic IP. I can add them via 'Static Leases' settings of my main router, but is there a better way?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

put the netgear trash in the bin

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Natural Philosopher submitted this idea :

Attached Devices Help

This page shows the IP Address, Device Name and MAC (Media Access Control) Address for each computer attached to the network.

You cannot change any of the values on this page. To update this page and to show the current attached devices, click on the Refresh button.

Virtual MAC Address: This is the MAC address of your wireless devices observed from your extender. The MAC addresses of all of the devices that are attached to the Extender will be changed to virtual MAC addresses when traffic is transmitting from the devices to your extender.

If your extender enables a MAC filter/Access control list, you must add these Virtual MAC addresses into your extender.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Exactly.

There are better extenders than this

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A little harsh, It would be fine for many people, its only when you want stable IP addresses you get issues. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa