Wibo electric heaters - good or crap?

I had one of their salesmen call and quote for four radiators for a small f lat that I rent out. I was quoted £7600 for 4.2Kw over the four heaters t hat was WITH 15% discount!!! For that price I would want the electric covered for a significant period o f time as well. Not a deal I'll be taking up!!!

Reply to
stevethatwork

Argos do quite nice wall mounted 2 kW convector heaters thermostatically controlled for under 30 quid.

But not carved from solid gold, obviously.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Blimey, are thes gold plated or diamond encrusted with live in heating engineers? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Obvious rip off...

But also - beware the convector heater for not all are created equal:

I had one from B&Q - rated at 1kW. It has a duty cycle of about 50% as it cannot even lose1kW to the air fast enough.

The DeLonghi's I also have however are fantastic - they almost blow the air out by sheer force of convection (loads of fins).

Just sayin... Best to check the reviews before buying. And even a brilliant floor standing high power oil filled rad should not be more than £100. So I'd expect similar of wall mounted ones.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Here you go - pretty much the most dogs bollox compact 2kW ones I could find, £420 each for wall mounted, oil filled, full control etc:

That's still £1700 in parts, rather a lot less than £7600 even allowing for wiring and fitting.

Depending on your space/needs you might be served well enough by something more basic:

and add a decent room timer/stat to the electrical feed (lots of scope for something fancy, remote controllable if required).

Reply to
Tim Watts

I find that strange.

The Argos one I'm talking about (branded Honeywell) was a simple convector with only the element heating the air. I had one in the bathroom as a stop gap for some time after changing to a new boiler which didn't throw out any real heat into the room like the old one did. But have now fitted a central heating rad.

I can't really see the point of expensive oil filled rads etc. All electric heaters are near enough the same efficiency. I suppose a larger heating area would reduce the localised air temp - but then you could do the same thing with a larger element. At much less cost.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thats what would have thought as well, have a CPC 2.5k oil rad in workshop, had, thermo failed stuck in winter II, and a handed down Delonghi Dragon oil rad.

DeLonghi is far more effective at getting heat into the air, it also has a boost heat element, but even on just oil the increased amount of surface area over a CPC cheapy is noticably more effective.

Timeguard plug in thermos are unreliable pieces of crap BTW.

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

For that sort of money I'd expect them to come with the leccy to run them for several years;)...

Reply to
tony sayer

Intrinsically safe, more of less - very very unlikely to cause a fire

Reply to
Tim Watts

The B&Q one was very short. But no fins either.

Just sayin... Don't take anything for granted. If it says 2kW it might not actually be able to move that power to the air...

Reply to
Tim Watts

The one I'm talking about was approx 2 ft wide. Anything smaller I'd expect to need a fan.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Why would a decent convector - with the element totally enclosed by a steel case and grille - be a fire hazard? If you covered the grille, the thermostat (and a separate overheat one) - would shut it down.

A large oil filled rad may have a slightly lower surface temperature - but will also take up more room.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Localised hot spots due to fluff - as I saw in a fan heater more than once. These things make me nervous with kids and/or old people around.

If it were a resistive element with a large temperature coefficient (sold as intrinsically safe) I'd be OK with that.

Not saying *you* need to worry, but I would as I see how people treat heaters, even after n-lectures on not doing silly stuff like piling stuff up against it!

Reply to
Tim Watts

You can have an air source heat pump for much less than that and it will cost ~1/3 to run.

Hell you may even get a ground source system.

Reply to
dennis

replying to Andy Wade, Andreas Dunker wrote: My mum paid 3400 EUR!

Reply to
Andreas Dunker