Why do wholesalers write "off" rather than "of" ?

I've been curious for a while as to why wholesalers and builders merchants write eg. "bags of sand, 5 off" rather than "of".

My theory is that the "off" may be an instruction to remove the items from a stock list, rather than a persistent spelling mistake.

tom.harrigan

You answered your own question. Yay! ;-)

Yes, it's 5 off the total number in stock, or 5 off the top of the pile, etc

Reply to
Dave Osborne

I became familiar with it when I was a apprentice fitter..long time ago. Lathe, operators, millers, etc would have a job sheet that would specify, eg. 6 off or 400 off, components or widgets.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur 51

It is certainly not a spelling mistake. It is a well established way of denoting a quantity, which may date back to Middle English. From about 1400 of and off were alternative spellings of the same word.. It was only in the

16th century, most likely as printing formalised spelling, that the two words came to mean different things. The use of 'off' with numerals is probably a hangover of a usage from before 1600.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

In message , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

Do pay attention at the back

This was done to death a while ago

Reply to
geoff

My grandfather, a foundryman, once told me that it comes from making a cast off the mould. That explanation ties in with the one found here:

an engineer once told me that it was to avoid confusion in industries where it was common to specify items in terms of, for example, '1 of 12'.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Thank you! Thought I'd got a bad case of deja vu, but I had seen it before, so that's OK.

Reply to
PeterC

That makes sense, alsom what would happen to Seven of Nine (star trek voyager) she'd be 7 off 9 totally different borg. :)

Reply to
whisky-dave

When you look that gorgeous it doesn't matter what you're called ( though I can't help wondering what the other eight look like ).

Q'uapla!

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Greedy borger!

Reply to
PeterC

whisky-dave coughed up some electrons that declared:

More like 38 of DD.

mmmm

If SWMBO reads this via Google I'm dead.

Reply to
Tim S