Why are motors not current limited?

tool so if you over-stress it, it doesn't consume enough current to melt= the coils?

But why should we have to pay =A3300 to get some basic electronics inclu= ded?

d of stalling the engine, you'd wreck the motor.

Yes, but cars have very powerful motors. Even a washing machine has a v= ery complex control unit.

-- =

"The most dangerous thing in the world is to try to leap a chasm in two = jumps" -- David Lloyd George, former UK Prime Minister

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

And with any luck if there is a button to lock the trigger that gets pushed into your hand also. I am depressed by this constant discrimination of people of left handedness. It has to stop.

Reply to
rbowman

A powder actuated Hilti would be more fun. They are probably illegal in the UK though.

Reply to
rbowman

It would already be locked if One had chosen to use it. The locking action would be unlikely to be engaged accidentally.

If you feel strongly about the discrimination then an approach to people like Eclipse might be worthwhile. The basic problem is the flute.

Personally though I think you would get a more immediate effect with Prozac.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

They sell them on their UK website.

Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

=A340 saw, dies. =A3300 saw, works. =A345 saw, same as the =A340 one b= ut with a simple limiter, works.

The manufacturer should design it so it tells you when to change the oil= .

-- =

A bird in the hand is always greener than the grass under the other guy'= s bushes.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Stop cross posting! Are you talking portable tools or mains powered ones here? The current limiting could be done, and as I recall, in battery devices used to be, as the older batteries did not like huge currents being drawn from them until they themselves got hot. Not actually noticed what goes on thes4e days, but I'd have thought like you, it would by now be standard. mains stuff on the other hand is almost impossible to stall unless you start rotating yourself! Either that or the motor is crap to start with! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The cost of basic protection is far less than replacing the tool at every turn, however, the cost of this basic protection is offset by increasing the product price to approximate how many unprotected tools you can save via this cheap protection circuit..

SO you have a choice, keep buying the cheap one's that are always changing the design so you can't use old units for parts but if gives you that always new look! Or you can buy the protected one and allow it to get ratty looking, beat up looking, twisted, out of alignment etc.. Now think of this from a used car salesmans perspective, put a fresh coat of paint on that car with no enigine cyou can sell it everytime..

The same holds true when showing up for a job with sparkling new tools which may give them the impression that you are a neat freak and that impresses the customers because they no absolutely nothing about what you are really selling!

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

I post to all applicable groups. Stop removing my crossposts.

Mains.

You can stall an angle grinder quite easily, just twist it slightly in the concrete you're cutting.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

r tool so if you over-stress it, it doesn't consume enough current to me= lt the coils?

ead of stalling the engine, you'd wreck the motor.

The thing is, if you sell an unprotected tool, how many get broken withi= n a month by someone being clumsy or making a mistake, costing you the m= anufacturer a lot of money in replacements? I bought an =A380 strimmer = and got a free one in 2 weeks when I stalled it.

-- =

I used to eat nothing but natural foods. Then I found one of the leading reasons for death was natural causes, so= . . .

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Do you need a license? We needed one for some conduit we were running so I sent one of my maintenance guys up to the rental place to pick one up. He came back empty handed. It seems there was a short safety quiz before they would rent one to cover their ass. Problem was my guy couldn't read and they weren't doing a verbal quiz.

rbowman

That's a good way to get the disc to explode and throw bits into your flesh and eyes. Carry on!

Reply to
+++ATH0

So your hands are perfectly steady then?

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Of course they are. They only allow dull knives, too (see: James Wilkinson Sword).

Reply to
krw

Prick

Reply to