Whole House fans - where can I buy one?

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Pyriform" saying something like:

I've always been a fan of a whole house. Much preferable to just two walls and a half-finished roof.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

If you're planning on using a large extractor fan, take great care if you have any open gas fires (or even gas hobs) in the house, in case your extractor diverts the fumes away from the proper flue/s into the room.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Ah, so it wont cool your house. But what the OP asked for does.

NT

Reply to
NT

Pyriform, did you ever get a useful reply to this? I know what you mean, having lived in the US we had one of these whole house fans in our house and it was fantastic, meant we did not need to have air conditioning installed. With hotter summer days on the increase here in the U.K., I?m interested to get one put in the house here. Our loft is already ventilated, but I can?t find the right kind of fan. Thanks.

Reply to
heatherlouise01

You're replying to a 10-year old post.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Bollocks

Back in the 50s and early 60s I remember headlines of 90-100F temperatures

I haven't seen it over 30°C in the last 20 years

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

June 2017 and 2019 were not 20 years ago but maybe you were in the wrong location to experience them.

Reply to
Bev

Really? Peak was over 30C here only last week and for a couple of days.

And that is in rural North Yorkshire where it is usually pretty temperate rather than the heat bubble of London or Manchester.

I also recall the very hot summers of the mid 70's too. 1976 had a massive drought, a plague of lady birds and 1977 wasn't that far behind.

Reply to
Martin Brown

they weren't as hot as things were in the 50s and 60s

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not in my experience though. The overriding memory of that era was the winter of 1962/63 and not any particularly hot summer.

Reply to
Andrew

snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com expressed precisely :

I remain unconvinced.

Simple way to keep a house cool, at least for several hot days, is to keep windows closed and pull down blinds, during the heat of the day. On an evening, once the outdoors cools down some, open the windows.

During the hot spell of last week, indoors it never exceeded a comfortable 23.5C, when I was recording 31.5C outdoors.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Changing your argument I see. You said you hadn't seen it over 30°C in the last 20 years. I pointed out your lapse of memory.

Reply to
Bev

Trouble is that leaving all windows open overnight is seldom practical. A fan enables leaving them locked ajar.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Would one of those not be rather noisy? I thought heat pumps were the in thing these days performing the job of cooling and heating. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

They know that, its basically a new plea, did you not read what was said, or did you only read as far as the first date? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Try here

.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Of course the issue is in the statement that: "and draws cool air in through open windows etc."

Only if your house has extreme solar gain and no roof insulation is it going to be warmer inside than out

In hot summer here with 30C outside it is rare to see the inside go aboven15. At night I open the windows., By day I close the windows and draw the curtains

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Where did you see that statement? My understanding of the J&S system is that it feeds the house rooms with warm air in winter and cold air in summer using the same ducting. It uses the same heat-exchanger "in the box" but working in reverse when it needs to cool rather than heat. Anyway, even if the OP doesn't need air-conditioning, the point is that J&S have a vast amount of experience with fans for whole-house ventilation, so might well have a fan for the OP's requirements.

15?! I assume you meant 25. Or maybe you have a really high-powered A/C unit... :-)
Reply to
Jeff Layman

I meant 25.. :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

+1 for all south-facing windows.

North-facing widows can be kept open because the air is cooler being in the shade.

The back of my house, facing south did get hot. The heat coming through the patio door *glass* was incredible. The back wall was covered in a huge rampant passion flower plant but I had to remove it because it was rampaging into the loft, which was up to 47C at one point, while my Brannan mercury wet/dry thermometer was reading 26C dry in the lounge, facing North.

last year this climber made all the difference by shading the wall and also partially shading the patio doors and kitchen window.

I'm going to get one of those 'sails' that are very common in Oz and fix that to the back wall and lash it to the birch tree.

Reply to
Andrew