Who to order electronic components from?

Next day? I once had them deliver a timer relay to me, 50 or 60 miles away, in 90 minutes! They used a motorcycle courier and delivery did cost three or four times the cost of the timer, but it allowed me to install the relay while I was on site, so that they could restart the production line, knowing that the fault would not keep randomly recurring.

Reply to
SteveW

yes still going strong although we try to call it protoboard nowerdays.

Fine why do you need to keep every circut you make ? Very wasteful as a hobby point of view.

I have a uDec (well mu-Dec)

Reply to
whisky-dave

I'd check out rapid electronics.

whisky-dave

Is old Birkets of the straight in Lincoln still around?...

Reply to
tony sayer

And this is the sorry remains of H Gee in Mill road Cambridge were over time i spent a fortune in pocket money!

After their fire almost every cassette recorder belt went up in flames very sad:(..

tony sayer

John isn't

No idea what effect that has on the shop ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I don't. Some would have been better to keep. So I moved away from those breadboards. Anyone remember 1st generation breadboards? :)

Reply to
Animal

... his daughters are still trading, but not sure of opening times...

Reply to
David Wade

Do you mean an actual breadboard with things screwed to it?

Reply to
Max Demian

Well that's where prototype boards come in handy, and of couse for making prototypes

For me breadboards are wooden where you push in a tack/drawing pin or other 'node' then solder your components to it. So I try to stick to the usage of the word protoboard for describing such things.

Not really although the first breadboard I used at school was a very light material that you stuck brass drawing pins into then soldered the comonents to them. OK for teaching the basics as were the 1st proto-board I used which was an S-Dec. Can't remember why the were called S-decs though.

Reply to
whisky-dave

93 years bless him! a decent innings!

Ought to be a grade two listing on that place for historic equipment's!!!

Reply to
tony sayer

I think his daughter is running it.

Reply to
me9

Aye. Not many of those about now.

Reply to
Animal

Oh, that is sad - when did that happen?

Reply to
jkn

In article snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com, jkn <jkn snipped-for-privacy@nicorp.f.co.uk> scribeth thus

& i quote..

Sadly this shop burnt down on Monday 15th July 2019.

It had been closed for some months but had been steadily running down before that. Ironically it could in many peoples opinion have prospered when Maplin closed its shops in Cambridge, but the owner, the son of the founder Harry Gee did not seem to want to carry on. Stock ran down and he never replaced it, and in the last months it was open it wall full of cardboard boxes stacked up in the shop. Probably old now obsolete stuff from the upper floors.

The shop was getting very tatty both inside and out, with stuff in the window fading due to prolonged exposure to sunlight. Harry Gee must be turning in his grave, in the 1960's it was a Mecca for radio hams and hi-fi enthusiasts, Mr Gee always smartly dressed and smoking a small cigar

RIP H Gee 94A Mill Road Cambridge.

Reply to
tony sayer

Thanks for the info. I frequented Gee's late in its life, back in the late

1990's. It was probably running down slightly even then, but it was a great shop to have a nose around.
Reply to
jkn

Farnell have been listening. I had complained about exactly that problem and last week I had an email from them asking whether I would like future invoices, statements etc to be emailed directly to me as pdfs. Their stock levels do seem to be lower than in the past and they are no longer always cheaper than RS. Mouser and Digikey provide excellent service and generally have better stock levels than the usual UK companies. John

Reply to
John Walliker

Something to bear in mind is that, if you're ordering as a consumer, there are often good cashbacks available - eg:

Farnell

RS
Okdo (RS shop for boards like Raspberry Pis, but other components as well):
Rapid
even:
Theo

Reply to