Strange Cache entries in Thunderbird

Just done month-end backups using Windows 7 backup and got another error about a missing file. The file in question is a directory and it is indeed missing but I have no recollection of it ever existing. If I did delete it, then that must have been ages ago (like well in excess of a year).

While perusing this incident, I noticed that backup had backed up a load of Adobe Lightroom files that haven't been touched for ages, and they are internal database-related files anyway that I don't touch. Strange.

Also I have noticed that Thunderbird now has a Cache2 directory holding two directories called doomed and entries. Doomed is empty while Entries holds loads of files with big hexadecimal names and sizes varying from 1kb to 733Kb. Anyone know what they are ?.

I am currently on 102.6.1 (32 bit)

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

Cache2 has been there forever.

"Entries" contains cached files from the current browsing session.

It also means when you were using Thunderbird email, some of the emails must have been HTML ones, and the HTML ones when visiting some websites, caused cache2 to be populated.

On Firefox, you can set the browser for memory-based caching, such that your SSD never gets plastered with those files. Presumably the same settings will be in Thunderbird, and you can eliminate the usage of cache2 directory. Then, it won't be getting backed up, on every incremental.

Cache2 can have a "maximum size" setting, but in terms of wear and tear, that does not determine how many TBW are wasted on cached files. It just changes the resident size between sessions (space wasted when computer is shut down).

Only switching to memory-based caching, controls the "SSD abuse".

On Windows, the Search Indexer is alerted to each new file created. It would try to Index all the cache2 files, for search purposes. This wears on your Windows.edb or Windows.db file, as those files are constantly being updated. That's just a "magnifying effect" of leaving cache2 enabled :-)

*******

For Lightroom, Adobe has a fetish about updating things, and I would guess you received an update at some point, even if you did not want one. Maybe ARMsvc played a part. And maybe ARMsvc isn't in "Program Features" control panel. Google has two updaters running too, they were supposed to exit when no Google products are present, but of course, no such policy is evident. The updaters just stay there.

*******

Computers are filled with church mice, doing their little thang... You would think the computer speakers would have "rustling sounds" added to them, to track when the church mice are active.

If you leave a computer running at night, I recommend pulling the network plug on it. The church mice hate when you do that. In a tiny voice, you can hear "bugger!".

Some Logitech webcam software, has some sort of "log file" which the stupid thing writes once a second, even when the webcam is unplugged. This is "great" for SSDs, just what they were designed for is dribbling crap like that.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

This is of course the issue with older software updated as you go along. You may find by now that Tbird original authors died some time ago, and others try to make sense of what was goin on, and sometimes get it wrong. Its not just Tbird though, most software seems to have some kind of phone home facility, completely point less in most cases. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff