White Knight condenser dryer-explanation?

Hi group, I'm on my 3rd one of the the White Knight WK 767 condenser tumble dryer-the 1st one was ok but got noiser and noiser (after 3 years use) and eventually swapped it for a shiny new one. This one was returned after 2 weeks as the performance was pretty bad-problem is, the 3rd one is the same. Unless there has been a change in manufacturing, I dont see how the performance could have deterioated between models. The drying time is atroucious, even for a small load Is there anybody on the list who could explain to me,or point to a FAQ,on how these machines process the heating and drying cycle? Looking around it there seems to be drum->fluff filter->condenser-> then somewhere else. If I can work out how the water gets form the clothes to the top loading water collecter, then maybe I can start to understand what is going wrong. I know that condensers arn't as efficent as the "normal" type (and if I cant get it fixed then this will be my next step) but I dont want to just give up before having a go at what is wrong :-)

Thanks

Sandy

Reply to
cabsandy

I would have thought that the experience of having a product for only three years before it breaks and then having two new ones in succession would give the clue that either the specific model is junk or that the manufacturer is making junk in general.

Why are you throwing good money after bad? The product should work properly when you buy it. You shouldn't have to mess around.

The best solution would be to cut your losses and insist on a refund, and then go and buy a decent product such as Bosch or Miele.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Andy, The first one we had took an ahful lot of abuse, as we had newborn twins-it cost =A3180,which for about 3 years constant use (2 or 3 loads a day), I think wasn't a bad buy, hence why we went for the same model again. I'm simply trying to find out if there is something I should be looking for that would help, before looking at other options

By the way, where I said condenser, make that the heat exchanger Sandy

Reply to
cabsandy

Hi Sandy

The path is as follows: cold air sucked into dryer; cold air heated up by heating element(s); heated air blown into drum to dry clothes; moist heated air from drum is blown over cold metal surface of condenser causing water vapour to turn to water; dryed air from condenser is blown through fluff filter into room; condensed water from condenser collects in water container. The efficiency of drying will be reduced if the filter is clogged up or the condenser is blocked with dry dust and fluff. If you have cleaned the filter and condenser and the problem persists then further fault-finding may need inspection by an engineer.

However, the instruction manual for my Creda condenser tumble dryer gives the following reasons for taking too long to dry:

The filter has not been cleaned The temperature setting is not ideal for the type of fabric you are drying The water container needs emptying The condenser needs cleaning The correct drying time has not been selected for the load The air intake grill or rear vents are obstructed The items were too wet The dryer was overloaded.

Hope this helps!

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

Phil, Thanks for that-I'm an expert at taking the thing apart because of the old one (had to fit a new heater element) so I'll digest this info and have a look. This is what I needed

Thanks

Sandy

Reply to
cabsandy

Well done, some makes (such as Creda) are a bugger to take apart. You may find a blockage in one of the air passages caused by an accumulation of dust and fluff.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

The message from "cabsandy" contains these words:

On our White Knight the fluff seems to get past the filter and clog up the heat exchanger. Have you pulled it out and looked between the layers?

Reply to
Guy King

Phil, Took off the back, moved the hose and thourghly cleaned out the heat exchanger AND got my hand right into the back.Also decided to put the hose back into the top loading bottle, rather than my waste pipe.Now works like a dream, with a full damp cotton load dry in 60 mins, rather than 2 hours.Also, no more condensation around the door, which I always thought was bit suspicious Not sure what exactly fixed it but thanks for the help as it seems it's not the junk that some experts reckon it is-here's to many happy days of drying :-)

Ta mucho

Sandy

Reply to
cabsandy

The message from "cabsandy" contains these words:

Ain't that annoying!

Reply to
Guy King

Thanks for taking the trouble to give feedback. That's very good news!

Reply to
Phil Anthropist