Whistling Boiler

My Vokera Excell 80E combi boiler occasionally starts whistling when the central heating is on. I can stop the whistling instantly by turning on a hot tap for a couple of seconds. The whistling goes away but always comes back at some point. Some days it will come back in a few hours, other days it won't whistle much at all.

Please can you tell me what the problem might be and also what to do to fix it.

Reply to
anon

Possibly it is some form of 'kettling'. That is localized boiling in the heat exchanger.

There are various chemicals to add to attempt to cure the effect, only one of which IMHO is any good that's the boiler silencer gel form Fernox (£30 quid a shot).

Reply to
Ed Sirett

In message , anon writes

Teach it to sing

Sounds like a washer, but could be a range of things. I think you will have to locate it a bit more precisely. Probably not dangerous (Boom)

Reply to
geoff

Ours does this all the time until it's warmed up. It sounds like a hurricaine in the kitchen until about 15 mins into a cycle then it quietnes down. It's been regularly serviced and checked and double checked - it just does it.

There's a fair bit of noise from the gas influx to start with - but it clanks and whistles while it gets up to temperature and two separate engineers have told me this is safe and ok to use....

Might try some of the stuff that Ed suggested tho - was reading about it...

Cheers Dan.

Reply to
Dan delaMare-Lyon

It is either bored, or very happy in its work.

Reply to
Zipadee Doodar