Whirlpool recall.

Except that Whirlpool are not allowing others to repair affected appliances, and a consumer would have a good argument that a repair contravening the manufacturer's instructions was not a satisfactory remedy in law.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Are some of these design changes just a slightly different model number, with no other differences at all?

Reply to
GB

These machines are very, very cheap.

When Rolls Razor started the washing machine wars in the 1960s, they were selling machines at £42. The equivalent machines in the shops were over £80.

For comparison, petrol was around 5p a litre at that time.

Reply to
GB

'exploding' washing machine. Really ?. Were the clothes saturated with deoderant or hairspray ?.

Reply to
Andrew

The plastic bits :-)

Reply to
Andrew

The original part supplier might have been replaced by a cheaper version made in China, where quality control might not be anywhere near as good as the original supplier.

Reply to
Andrew

Theo <theom+ snipped-for-privacy@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote in news:Ltb* snipped-for-privacy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk:

Can't believe Steam Buildup due to the powder dispen ser being relatively open

Reply to
John

before going to fast spin mine seems to have a little go, so that if the drum is unbalanced it stops does a few reverse tumbles and tries again, I always assumed if it found the same again and again, it would stop rather than say "f*ck it let's try full blast"

Reply to
Andy Burns

Just checked and both friend and my mother's washing machines caught fire - they were both Zanussi, in mother's case nearly new and little used.

Not representative, but that's 100% of people I know with Zanussis...

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Sounds like all the power, including the heater, goes through the door interlock switch contacts and they probably can't cope with the current.

Big Clive gas a good teardown and explanation of a typical Indesit door interlock at

Mike Clarke

Russia pays for that one. Additional income is just being greedy.

Reply to
Bob Eager

It was near the top, around the sequencer/controller, took out much of the wiring, scorched the metal cover and damaged the worktop.

Apparently it was fully established flames not just smoke, no fuse blew and I don't think he had a RCD equipped consumer unit either.

I don't think his wife ever put a washing machine on a cycle unattended ever again.

Reply to
The Other Mike

With the tumble dryers, which I suspect are a bigger risk, nobody seems to have broken ranks. People are quietly waiting for Whirlpool to get round to their case.

Reply to
GB

In those days, machines would have a metal lid. Nowadays, it might be worse, as some machines have more combustible lids.

Reply to
GB

A couple of years ago I had a small fire in a constantly-running dehumidifier in a damp garage. The compressor bearings had seized up so the over-temperature switch cycled continuously. Eventually the switch overheated and there were signs of a flame impinging on the plastic cover over the compressor terminals. The cover was clearly made from fire- resistant thermoplastic (probably ABS) as although there were drips of melted plastic on the metal tray at the base of the unit the fire did not spread. Power was disconnected when the 32A RCBO tripped. Overall, I was quite impressed as the various fire suppression measures did actually work as intended. The plastic cover self-extinguished once power had been disconnected and the drips of molten plastic landed on metal and didn't ignite anything else.

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

Hacking famous peoples voice mail messages, blackmail, hidden cameras filming a celeb having sex, stealing or paying for a sex video of a celeb having sex, bikini photos of the Royal family.

The Metro is a free printed paper. Their journos know what they are doing for a cheap pay packet. It's a copy and paste of the Mail.

Reply to
ARW

The Metro is mainly intended for the commuter demographic.

There must be a business opportunity for a free version of The Sun. They could leave it in Jobcentres, betting shops and Wetherspoons.

Bigger print, smaller words, and more t*ts, obviously.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

No mention of what make this tumble dryer is/was

Andy Burns

Yes, that's true. Maybe the steam was just a hot wash. Does sound like a different problem to the interlocks.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Obviously the standards are totally inadequate (Grenfell) Appliances in the past had all metal cabinets. Insulation was mineral wool. At one time even fridge interiors were metal. The only thing that could burn in a tumble dryer was a bit of fluff if it got on the heating element. Every thing else was metal. All you got was a bad smell.

Reply to
harry