Whirlpool recall.

The Grenfell fire was tarted by a faulty refrigerator shit-fer-brains.

Bollix. It's still in use.

And was used in electrical sockets & switches in the 1980s to my personal knowledge. It is not used today for cost reasons. The EUSSR rules permit it.

Reply to
harry

Argos have recently recalled a load of mattress toppers for failing to meet fire safety requirements.

I know we all like cheap tat from China and don't ask too many questions, but really, in the 21st century, why can't we do better?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I mentioned a dehumidifier that caught fire in my garage. The over-temperature switch that caught fire was made of bakelite, so yes it is still in use but no it doesn't prevent fires.

I have never come across a domestic 'fridge with a metal interior. Even in the early 1960s they were made of polystyrene with glass fibre insulation which tended to become saturated with water and not insulate very well.

Most of the EU safety rules relating to appliances are the same or very similar to those applied in the USA and much of the rest of the world. (At least in the area I am most familiar with which is IT and test equipment.)

I do agree that standards relating to building cladding appear to be inadequate. They don't appear to have taken scale effects into account - nor that some metals like aluminium burn very well in the right conditions which are probably not present in small-scale test rigs.

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

Chipboard, Brian?

Used to be plywood in my day - and that was heavy enough!

Reply to
Terry Casey

I don't know who made this tumble dryer but it certainly left its mark!

Terry Casey

No but it's self extinguishing.

Reply to
harry

I was a whirlpool and it did catch fire injuring the owner, then it ignited aerosols stored next to it, and they blew the wall out.

Andy Burns

I don't believe a few aerosol cans can blow a wall out.

Reply to
Max Demian

Part of one can of aerosol wrecked a car.

Reply to
GB

Google disagrees

Andy Burns

Easily.

paint is best.

Reply to
harry

Maybe we should go back to CFCs.

Reply to
Max Demian

Its far from clear how many of those were caused by a fire causing one of the cans to explode and THAT causing the explosion that blows the wall out rather than the much more usual situation like with the car when some fool sprays a lot from the can and then that is ignited by something else.

Reply to
%

But Grenfell isn't a "standards" failure

Reply to
newshound

Rather depends on how many tins. I could believe it, although the devil would be in the detail.

Reply to
newshound

The sequence is likely to be the can rupturing (either failure of the plastic valve with temperature, or a seam failure from internal pressure) leading to production of an explosive mixture.

Reply to
newshound