Whining gearbox - any remedies?

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember The Natural Philosopher saying something like:

All revved up and ready to go?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

*Very* bad form to laugh at your own 'joke', John.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Top Gear, the loonies on here will think you are me, John, Dave, Icky the Firebobby and just about everyone else. A right paranoid know-it-all lot who run cars with engines that sound like old tractors.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember ":::Jerry::::" saying something like:

Notice how he totally ignored my 200,000 mile bike engine, with integral gearbox, lubricated entirely on mineral oil.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Many many years ago, Castrol ran a series of ads about cars which had done vast mileages on their very definitely non synthetic oils. And since those days manufacturing tolerances and materials used in engines have improved

- let alone the oils themselves. My bother's BMW 520 is approaching 250,000 miles, and has certainly never had synthetic oil - and leads a hard life towing much of the time.

Synthetic only makes economic sense on engines designed for it and longer service intervals. Otherwise just stick to what was recommended or better, spec wise.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My 3.9 Disco has done over 90,000 miles on dead dinosaurs (*), is still going fine, and will tow my race car at very illegal speeds apparently without effort.

(* Yes, yes, I know. It's a *joke*, OK?)

Reply to
Huge

Talking to yourself now? Perhaps the final sign of madness? Still, at least you've admitted you're John. Is this the start of a new honest Adam?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Please buy the cheapest oil and leave in for 40,000 miles. You must do this to regain your sanity.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Ford are crap, anyone wilth any knowledge will tell you that.

And nothing ever went wrong? I don't believe you if you say nothing ever went wrong. What was the cam wear? er, er, er.............

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

..and sounds and feels like a tractor.

ALL modern engines are designed for it. Sorry, oh for you they are not, please buy the cheapest and nastiest oil available and run it for 40,000 miles. Please do this.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

I feel like I am talking to the wall with the likes of you. I would get more sense from it.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

You seem to be very knowledgeable about tractors. Is this what you do for a living - a farm hand?

So now you're talking about only modern cars? Like the 14 year old Cavaliers you mentioned earlier?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Doctor Evil" saying something like:

The only thing that went wrong mechanically was the tired piston rings. If your comprehension skills were any good, you should have garnered that knowledge from my post. On stripdown, the pistons, bores, cams, had no discernable wear... every part was within manufacturers tolerances and with a new set of rings that engine will be as good as new.

Reminds me... I must put the bugger back together.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Roger, how is Essex today? You must keep using the cheapest oil on the market for your engine. You must is is good for you.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

You have a mobile disco?

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

The message from "Doctor Evil" contains these words:

How would I know. I live in Yorkshire.

Why? I trust the garage to put the right oil in when it is serviced and it doesn't need topping up between services.

I think you need to increase your medication otherwise you will shortly become completely unintelligible.

Reply to
Roger

Terrific!! You went to help the Third World. Are you doing voluntary work?

Don't trust them!!! They may put good stuff in!!!! Buy the cheapest and nastiest, give it to them, and tell them to put that stuff in. Have it serviced every 40,000, that will make you happy.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

More 'sense' from our resident fool.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

More proof of your lack of even the most basic knowledge of motoring.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

How else does a mobile disco get around? A handcart?

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil