Whingers.

Eh? They're a bit buggered now, but it should be recoverable, even without a govt handout. If they follow your idea they're completely and utterly shafted. That's the reality of their situation.

clive

Reply to
Clive George

And it's buildings + contents, not buildings insurance, so seems a fair comparison.

clive

Reply to
Clive George

Was that a typo for 500 quid? Coz that's a bit closer to the mark.

clive

Reply to
Clive George

Which reminds me of when we got wet about 9 years ago. Poor loss adjuster had spent all day visiting wet houses. Unfortunately he'd rather dimly got dressed in his normal clothes of suit + normal shoes, so was freezing by the time he got to us. I wonder if he packs wellies these days?

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Lets see.. a sheet of WBP 18 mm £25, water pump £16, some concrete to make a sump £5.. I make that about £46. Where do you get £500 from?

Reply to
dennis

Neighbours had fairly simple flood barriers fitted, and the cost was more than that. Ok, DIY you'd get cheaper, but you're still underestimating the work required by quite a long way.

(And 16 quid for a pump?)

Not to mention the fact that the door barrier is insufficient, and 2 months after they're installed, they never get used again, since they're a tedious faff.

clive

Reply to
Clive George

I don't think anyone is expecting them to be in place 24x7x365, ony when required.

Reply to
Andy Burns

The thing is, "when required" isn't that obvious. You'd end up putting it up on the threat of rain a few times, then get bored, and wouldn't do it next time there was a real problem in 5 years time.

(Trust me - our house gets wet, and we wouldn't bother with something as tedious as that...)

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Lidl. 8-)

Reply to
dennis

I dare say but either way up they *have* *actually* *lost* £25 - 40k.

If they don't have that much in cash to hand or if they do but they are not prepared to blow it on repairing their place they will be constrained to doing it out of cash flow as funds permit. Maybe over

3-5 years during which time the house is in a grotty state, the kids are growing up but can't have decent Birthday/Christmas Parties etc or a place to do ther homework, and family holidays are not possible because all the spare cash is going on getting the house sorted. An unattractive prospect, I don't think my SWMBO would hear of it.

I don't see a big difference in part exchanging the house with a nice new house from that nice Mr Barratt (And, yes, realising that £25 -

40k loss), who I feel sure would be happy to do it, there is some profit in that £40k after all, and refinancing by a similar amount to get the cash to get the repairs done immediately.

If you mean they have irrevocably lost £25-40k, yes.

That would cost them Ca £150/month in mortgage interest. On the plus side they could have a brand new newly decorated house with new appliances. Their old house would have needed redecorating and appliances replacing over a 5 years timeframe anyway.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

I'm 6 miles the other way.