Fitting compression T valve for dishwasher

Hi - I have a compression joint T valve which I want to fit to a 15mm pipe. I haven't done this before, and I notice that the olive only fits on the pipe in one direction. The ends of the pipe have been filed smooth and rubbed with wire wool, and both the olives go on smoothly to their respective pipes until its end is flush with the pipe end, but no further. This means that the pipe hardly protrudes into the body of the fitting at all - surely this can't be correct - the [ip[e should go in to the body as far as it will go surely? Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Ben

Reply to
Ben

Distorted pipe? Half inch pipe?

Either way, just take off the olives, and gently file it round, or, ideally, cut a new piece of pipe, and dont grip it hard when cutting, or it will distort again. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Yes, you're right.

It may be slightly poorly made olives, or the end of the pipe isn't quite as deburred as you think. Try filing slightly inside the olives and then at an angle right at the tips of the pipes. You could also try a light smear of washing up liquid as a lubricant. Then the olives should go on.

Reply to
Andy Hall

The pipe is new, so I assume it isn't 1/2". I didn't grip it hard close to the joint while cutting, and used a fine hacksaw blade to reduce forces on the pipe. The pipe wall itself isn't visibly distorted, and any cutting burs have been removed, filed off, and rubbed with wire wool. The olives fit absolutely perfectly until they are just on, but will go no further. Hmmm... Ben

Reply to
Ben

A pipe cutter or pipe slice would be better than a hacksaw - it very slightly bevels the end of the pipe as it cuts, so the olive will go on much more easily.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Done...10 mins. of careful filing and wire wool, and its fine :-)

Thanks,

Ben

Reply to
Ben

You are correct in thinking the olive should slide further on, for 15mm fittings around 1/4" of pipe should protude from the oilve.

The olives obviously have a manufacturing burr or edge at one end. Push them on as far as they will go, then use the fitting to push them further on. Don't use much force, they still need to able to move on the pipe when the fitting is done up. Being a bit tight is a Good Thing they'll bite the tube and seal quicker.

There is no need for any compound, tape or other sealants with a compression fitting. A light smear of compound can be useful as a lubricant though.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thanks - one thing, I need to borrow a spanner to tighten them with as I have lent mine to someone. Any idea what size I will need? The pipe is 15mm, so I'd guess a 18 or 19mm spanner?

Cheers,

Ben

Reply to
Ben

Good.

For future reference, if you think you might do more jobs like this...

- It's worth getting a tube cutter. These are not expensive - about £10 or so - and have the effect of cutting a small groove in the tube and eventually cutting through. This puts a small rounded edge on the end of the pipe which can then be reamed with the end of the tool. Olives then go on easily.

- Olives are not always interchangeable between brands of fitting

- Solder fittings look neater, aren't difficult and the equipment to fit can be obtained inexpensively as well.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Bigger, I think

Otherwise use a pair of adjustables

Reply to
Andy Hall

Done - it was 25mm. I notice that although my joints are fine, when the valve is in its fully off position, it leaks through the tap. To be off, it needs to be a few degrees towards the on position. Is this normal, or just crap taps?

Cheers,

Ben

Reply to
Ben

I have never found any of these little appliance valves that I would regard as that good quality. Another problem that seems to happen is that the plastic tops split, usually because the valves are stiff after sitting for years in the open position.

Lever ball valves are a better idea, arranged sideways if tight for space.

Reply to
Andy Hall