Which router?

I've ben looking at these: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Browse/catalogId/10001/identifier/8162300.htm
There is a 1500 W Worx and a 1500 Challenge. One at 70 one at 50.
Ordinarily I'd go for the 70 quid one but the 50 seems to pack more bits (in the form of bells and whistles too.)
As they are both 240 volt, my uses for it might be limited but I am damned if I am going to get a 110 v for two or three times the price and have to lug a 20 lb transformer around with it too.
Anyone know of anything similar for less?
I've ben looking at these: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Browse/catalogId/10001/identifier/8162300.htm
There is a 1500 W Worx and a 1500 Challenge. One at 70 one at 50.
Ordinarily I'd go for the 70 quid one but the 50 seems to pack more bits (in the form of bells and whistles too.)
As they are both 240 volt, my uses for it might be limited but I am damned if I am going to get a 110 v for two or three times the price and have to lug a 20 lb transformer around with it too.
Anyone know of anything similar for less?
http://www.charnwood.net/CatList.jsp?cat ' http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/cat.jsp?cId 2022&tsa182 http://www.toolstation.com/search.html?searchstr=router http://www.netgear.com

At these price points it's mainly about margin and marketing anyway, with bells and whistles like packs of router bits being thrown in being perceived as more important by the suppliers and customers than the engineering of the basic product.
Given that solidly engineered 12.7mm routers start from about 170, these will be limited in any case. The issues that are actually important are the smoothness and firmness of the slide mechanism, freedom from backlash in all moving components and how powerful the motor is in mechanical terms (not quoted electrical figures). All of these are something of a lottery in this part of the market.
Common sense would suggest that the 70 job without extra goody bits will be better than the 50 one with but it's impossible to know without looking and touching both products.
I would suggest buying both, examining them very carefully at home and return the unwanted one.
A better suggestion would be to buy something like the Freud which has good engineering without the goody bits.
I've ben looking at these: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Browse/catalogId/10001/identifier/8162300.htm
There is a 1500 W Worx and a 1500 Challenge. One at 70 one at 50.
Ordinarily I'd go for the 70 quid one but the 50 seems to pack more bits (in the form of bells and whistles too.)
As they are both 240 volt, my uses for it might be limited but I am damned if I am going to get a 110 v for two or three times the price and have to lug a 20 lb transformer around with it too.
Anyone know of anything similar for less?
B and q have a router and table for sub 50 quid, looks ok to me
Mrcheerful
I see that 'Aldi' stores are selling a 1050W route for 19.99, with a dozen cutters, from Thgursday 4 October. Cheap and cheerful, no doubt, but may be all that's needed for some jobs.
Weatherlawyer wrote:

On 2 Oct 2006 22:16:04 -0700 Weatherlawyer wrote :

I've just bought the Worx but haven't had a chance to try it out yet but it seems pretty solid and well made.
Which Magazine's view (summary here) was that it was not the best on test but good value at its price point. I will be using mine mainly outside so the poor dust extraction is not an issue
http://www.which.co.uk/reports_and_campaigns/house_and_home/Reports/home_improvement/diy_tools/Routers/pp_excel_546_84054.jsp
But for someone who is going to use a router every day and for indoor work like kitchen fitting I would not disagree with Andy's view that you need to spend more.

Tony Bryer wrote:

On the other hand I bought a router jig on Saturday from Machine mart for 90. I wanted the Trend one at 170 odd but there were none available off the shelf.
Monday I was puzzling how to set it up and it slid off the door to the ground some 36 inches away and shattered like the plastic piece of czjd it was.
So I made a jig out of a piece of 3 x 1 for naught and it is every bit as serviceable as the Trend. And I have saved 170 pounds and more.
So how much can a router be worth in those terms? Even an "expensive" one is dirt cheap. So why not buy a dirt cheap one?
The trade in 110 v routers is set up as the last of the gouges for the tool shops and the sooner they go to the wall, as far as I am concerned, the better. I will not mourn them any more than I mourn Leyland or Rover.
If they can't produce decent tack cheaper than someone who has to cope with export and importation problems then drop, them say I.
The other day I borrowed the saw of someone using a cheapo to cut aluminium stair toes. I asked him if the blade was for aluminium and he said no, just standard timber. It cut my stuff sweetly and looked to be going strong.
He said when it does start to play up it will go in the skip and he'd get another. (At some 26 he was getting the saw and blade cheaper than a blade.)
So I resolved to do the same. I'll nip down to Aldi on Thursday if I can find one near where I am working.
Weatherlawyer wrote:

I'm going to give the Aldi one a go too, I only want it to round the edges of timber for six, five foot window sills..........for now
Staffbull wrote:

I just bought the Aldi "Power Craft" just now. I can't understand how even with saving pennies on build quality, they can possible make a profit on this little beauty.
I could use a dust bag and of course the cutters I need for locks and etc are 1/2" collets. Pity.