Which pipe insulation

I have found climaflex and armaflex and some thick black expensive rubbery stuff in B&Q. Is any particular type better?

I notice that climaflex is available in 22 x 19 and 22 x 25 mm and most places only sell 22 x 19. Is the 22 x 25mm necessary or is it overkill?

TIA

Mr F.

Reply to
Mr Fizzion

This really depends on what you want to use it for.

If it's to insulate pipes in a loft to prevent freezing, then it probably doesn't matter a great deal.

OTOH, if it's to insulate underground heating pipes outside, then more is better.

Reply to
Andy Hall

The pipes are heating pipes under the suspended ground floor. I have read that mice are partial to climaflex (though they probably they eat anything that isn't stainless steel!)

Mr F.

Reply to
Mr Fizzion

OK. In the past, I've used the thicker Armaflex stuff for that, although probably the thinner would be reasonable also.

The point here is to prevent freezing in winter and reduce heatloss from the pipes.

It's worth shopping around for prices, though

Reply to
Andy Hall

The thin stuff is cheaper, and useful in confined spaces, such as running inside a wall. The big stuff is required if building regulations specify insulation, or there is loads of space available, so you might as well do it properly. I would use the big stuff unless only small will fit.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle