Which Boiler?

Doesn't mean they care. Which has a bit of a habit there.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Well informed, though. Many of us will have installed boilers and most of us investigated failures rather than just "get a man in", I suspect.

Reply to
newshound

That was the problem I had with mine. Don't think I ever saw anything reliable above about 50 C. And even then it isn't instant heat, so that you can't top up a sink (or bath) that is getting cold without having several litres of tepid water first. Always seems a bit primitive having to boil a kettle to finish the dish-pans.

I think I run my cylinder at about 65. And with a Stuart Turner to make sure I get a decent flow.

Reply to
newshound

I just set it at the boiler to 'bath temperature', and it fills the bath fairly quickly with no need for cold

Reply to
RJH

If I put a thermometer under the hot tap it pretty much agrees with the LCD display on the front of the boiler, unless I set the flow rate ridiculously high (quite high mains pressure here) A constant 70C isn't a problem, but I usually have it set at 55-60C anyway, because that's where I prefer it.

Can't argue with that though :(

Nah, what's primitive is washing dishes in a sink :) :)

Reply to
Lee

That's pretty much where ours is except it's "shower temp", well hers, I have to mix cold in :)

Reply to
Lee

You have obviously never been on a training course to learn how to hand wash dishes properly:-)

Reply to
ARW

I agree *up to a point* but my big wooden chopping boards don't go in the dishwasher, and I have some other pans of a size where one or two are a full load.

:-)

Reply to
newshound

You have no idea how many courses I *have* been on. But using skin friendly detergents, there is a minimum temperature for effective cleaning. Of course caustic soda is fine at room temperature.

Reply to
newshound

.. and to be fair to the Ideal Isar I installed in my previous place, it worked well for the 4 years or so that I owned it. (had one small failure when the DHW temp probe failed).

The Vaillant I installed in this place is probably better though...

Reply to
John Rumm

For washing dishes?

What model of boiler is it?

The very first Main combi used was like that, but more modern ones seem much better at triggering at quite modest flow rates.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yup.

Cant remember. Oil condensing thing from Ireland IIRC. Less than a decade old.

well a hot trickle is not what I call 'domestic hot water' . More like a case for Tena.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I find the 1 star reviews on Amazon give a good clue to the likely problems. The percentage also is useful.

Reply to
Capitol

I didn't realise you agreed with HarrY!

Reply to
Capitol

My traditional boiler has had 1 failure (pump) in 40 years of operation. It has never had inhibitor, but does run on softened water.

Reply to
Capitol

In message , The Natural Philosopher writes

The trouble with those reviews is the capability or otherwise of the reviewer. I'm no expert, but even going back to MFI flat pack stuff, it was OK if the instructions were carefully followed and usually better if assembled with a supply of PVA glue to strengthen the important bits.

Someone else may assemble without realising that all screws were not identical, no glue and yes, it falls apart and is a 'crap' product.

Reply to
Graeme

The value of off topic posts here is that the selection is so broad. D-I-Y it seems is no indicator of someone with libertarian or individualistic leanings.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's like the old gas geysers; if it was in the kitchen people had to call up to the bathroom to turn down the tap to just the right point before the gas flow reduces.

Reply to
Max Demian

Exactly. Its like going back to the 1950s

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In our house, we have a terrible problem with sub-optimal dishwasher loading. :)

Reply to
GB