Where can I get "Dura Slate" in the UK?

Good afternoon.

Truini's book on building sheds recommends "Dura Slate", a hard rubber substitute for real slate for roofing. I have googled and googled more, but I cannot find a distributor in the UK.

Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks, DP

Reply to
groops

Search UK sites for Dura Slates

Tony

Reply to
TMC

Would fibre cement slates do instead? I've just used these on a 30 sq. metre workshop. Easy to fit ,quite cheap and have a degree of flexibility compared to real slate if this property was attracting you to the rubber ones.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Joseph Truini may be American so Dura Slate may only be available in the USA and Canada. This firm may know if there are any UK stockists:

Handy

Thanks Tony, but I googled a lot and still did not find anything useful. If your googling skills are better than mine, I would be grateful for anything you can turn up....

Thanks, DP

Reply to
myheadisonbackwards

Duracem and Fastnet,slates are fibre cement not hard rubber.

Reply to
keith_765

search google (uk) for DURACEM

hth

Reply to
.

Dura SlateT Roofing Tile

Dura SlateT is actually Autoclaved Aerated Concrete (AAC). AAC is a dynamic concrete product consisting of a mixture of:

a.. PortlandCement b.. Quicklime c.. Sand d.. Aluminum powder e.. Water The highly complex chemical manufacturing process results in a concrete matrix that is ideally suited for use in the construction industry.

The Dura SlateT Roof Tile was designed and engineered for traditional Bermuda style roofs. The Kaidisen Roofing System is a combination of specially formulated additives and coating products to be used in conjunction with Dura SlateT Roof Tiles. The Manufacturer suggests all Dura SlateT roofs be applied in accordance with the Kaidisen Roofing System instructions and the local building codes.

Important!: This product requires professional application and should be used with the Kaidisen Roofing System.

Application Instructions

1.. Apply Dura SlateT Roof Tile in accordance with the Manufacturer's specification and the local building codes. 2.. Fasten each Dura SlateT Roof Tile with supplied fastener. 3.. When staffing the roof use water only. 4.. DO NOT USE CEMENT WASH! 5.. After scratching the roof use 1 coat Dura SlateT Base Coat and 2 coats of Dura SlateT Elastomeric Roof Coating, following manufacturer's instructions each product.
Reply to
keith_765

What does Kaidisen do? Kaidisen Roofing Systems created, developed and manufactures Dura-Slate roofing tiles. Our team of professionals have over 100 years combined experience in construction, engineering and building material arena. We are well established, well equipped and understand the unique roofing requirements of the hurricane prone market. We have been in business for over 4 years, bringing with us experience and extensive knowledge of the roofing industry.

What is Dura-Slate ? Refer to product page...

How is Dura-Slate applied ? Exactly the same way as a traditional limestone roof with one very important exception. That exception is that we add a fastner to each slate that provides superior uplift protection over limestone. For details see Building Code for diagram.

Do you have to fasten every tile? YES, Hurricane Fabian proved that the Dura-Slate fastening system provides superior uplift protection to that of limestone slate. Simply put our roofs stayed on.

Can you use Dura-Slate for open beamed ceilings? YES, Dura-Slate provides the traditional look of an open beamed ceiling without sand droppings associated with limestone.

Reply to
keith_765

First, you go to

you enter (with quotes) "dura slate" then you click 'sites from the uk', then you click 'search'. Then you read the first hit.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Ian,

That is a useful tip, but I already know how to work Google.

I am asking for help here because I did not get a useful result from searching Google.

Thanks, DP

Reply to
myheadisonbackwards

This sounds like a good idea, I will see if I can find some of these things in a nice colour.

FYI, it is only my inexperience/ignorance of this field that made the Dura Slates look like the best thing. Maybe they are, or maybe fibre cement thingies are... I will have a good look and decide.

Thanks for your advice, DP

Reply to
myheadisonbackwards

Thanks, but I think that is a fibre cement tile, not the same as Dura Slate.

DP

Reply to
myheadisonbackwards

"Contact Us" web page. They might even reply....

Thanks, David P.

Reply to
myheadisonbackwards

The message from "myheadisonbackwards" contains these words:

How unuseful is a site that sells the product you're asking for?

Reply to
Guy King

DP, I followed Ian's instructions out of interest which took me direct to a UK company that is selling just what you asked for either online or by phone.

would have thought you would regard this as a useful result ??

I note that that work out at £1.99 less2.5% per tile which is about £26 per sq metre. I think I paid less than £1 per tile for Eternit fibre cement or about £13per sq metre

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Hello Bob,

Looks like I was being a bit thick there.

I also found that page, but when I saw the picture labelled "Traditional Black Slate", I thought it was real slate and that the stuff at the top about Dura Slate was misplaced.

So thanks very much to you and the others who offered advice.

Regards, DP

Reply to
myheadisonbackwards

While you are looking at Duracem Slates ask to see a sample of the Sandtoft Britcem Slate, expensive but are very good.

Reply to
keith_765

Why not just the common non asbestos imitation slates? They're very easy for DIY use.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Why not use real slate and have the best appearance as opposed to a mimiced one. Locally (midlands) these area available at approx =A31 each inc vat for a 20" * 10" slate, approx coverage 20 to the m2. Priced example is for spanish slate at approx 80p plus Vat although good chinese are available at 1.20 plus.=20 Legin

Reply to
legin