Where can I buy styrofoam? is it anygood? ideas please ('replacement' window)

I need to leave fairly small-medium window wide open

I have been told about something called 'styrofoam'

can anyone recommend any websites? I have googled it but am a bit conufsed by the number of different types of foam.

(need to leave a little hole in the corner for an antenna - I can cut this out myself) (window is only to be left open for a few hours at a time and opens out onto private courtyard with CCTV and is high up so no security risk)

I'm hoping someone here can help me! thanks

Reply to
Chris.Holland16

Styrofoam is expanded polystyrene.

I think what you are after is 'Plexiglas or Perspex.

Slurp

Reply to
Slurp

Or perhaps polycarbonate, which is a similar glass-clear sheeting, a bit more impact-resistant than acrylic (perspex), although it becomes cloudy and yellow over some years in direct sunlight. Readily available in the sheds.

Reply to
Newshound

the polysterene will do - keep the heat out..

it's cheaper than perspex anyway, isn't it

I wish there was a website, where I could just enter dimensions & get delivery (I'm really busy)

thanks

Reply to
Chris.Holland16

If it really is expanded polystyrene that you want, B&Q sell it up to a few inches thick.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Or there will be stacks of it poking out of people's wheelie bins on Boxing Day.

It can be cut/shaped using a piece of electric fire element wire connected to a battery or transformer.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

or a breadknife and a light fine grit sanding.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher