When will I learn......

When will I learn to discard the "made from cheese" fixing screws that come with an item and use something much better from my existing boxes and trays of screws? :(

Reply to
alan_m

Yes, wireless doorbell fixing screws are like that. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

never

Reply to
Jim gm4dhj ...

monkey metal

Reply to
Jim gm4dhj ...

And radiators!

I throw the screws and plugs straight into the bin

For solid walls: I use 120mm long frame fixers so it goes through the full thickness of the inner wall :-)

For Stud & Partition walls, I use 3 inch long wood screws into vertical studs rather than hollow wall plasterboard fixings. Sometimes I have to put an extra stud in if the stud spacing doesn't line up with the back of the radiator

Reply to
SH

Indeed. It is standard practice for nearly all D-I-Yers to discard the supplied screws and wall plugs unless they are intensely decorative....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have been slowly changing my radiators (resizing for lower temperature flow) and over the past few years, the radiators that I have bought have come with 8mm or 10mm, 120mm long screws, with hex-heads and suitable wall plugs.

Reply to
SteveW