Whatsitcalled!

Hi All,

I'm trying to remember what the name of the fluid you use when drilling thickish metal to lubricate and prevent buggering up your drill bits - however the name is escaping me :) Think it's a whiteish liquid if that helps!

Any assistance in jogging my memory would be handy :) Ta!

Reply to
Alex Threlfall

Its just oil&water I think?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

That simple? Should be easy enough to implement. I'm half tempted to setup my own pump system as well if that's all there is to it, think a garden sprinkler pump and some filters to catch the crap might be the way forward...

Reply to
Alex Threlfall

On Sun, 4 Jun 2006 22:41:12 +0100, Alex Threlfall wrote (in article ):

Cutting fluid?

There's also some gungy stuff called Trefolex which can be used but is intended for low speeds only.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Use a fridge motor. It is a nice one for this job.

Reply to
EricP

Not sure on the mix but I would imagine more water than oil would be used ie 2:1?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

/me ebays for one :)

Reply to
Alex Threlfall

It was slurry when I was a lad. Oil and water as you say.

Reply to
dennis

Hrm, could be it, not many hits on flebay for that tho...

Reply to
Alex Threlfall

Yep,even when I wus a lad on the Lathe&Milling machine.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Washing machine waste outlet pump is ideal,small and light and can be got from almost anywhere. ;-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Suds in an engineering shop for general use at home etc a squirt of oil does the trick

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I've just bought a chunky old drill you see, that's right on the boundaries of being a milling machine, indeed it has the base with a large drain off hole you see, hence the project to get a proper lubrication system setup :)

Thanks for your help, as it appears to be nothing special i think i'll go with the oil & water mixed 2:1 i think, seems the cheapest anyway :)

Reply to
Alex Threlfall

On Sun, 4 Jun 2006 23:15:08 +0100, Alex Threlfall wrote (in article ):

If you want the proper thing, then both MachineMart and Axminster sell a kit of bits with tank, pump, tube and squirters.

You can get the proper cutting fluid as well, which smells great.

Reply to
Andy Hall

A slurry is insoluable solid particles suspended in a liquid.

Two immiscible liquids, for instance oil and water form an emulsion when the globule sizes become very small.

A slurry will settle out if left, I don't think an emulsion will.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Cutting fluid?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 21:41:12 GMT, Alex Threlfall had this to say:

Soluble oil. It comes as a brown liquid, which turns milky when you mix it with water.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Its called cutting oil, which is made with water soluble mineral oil. Ordinary engine oil does not mix too well with water and is a health hazard. But if your not up to your armpits in it every day or cutting very hard metal almost any oil/water mix will do.

-
Reply to
Mark

Explain please?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

They are designed to shift gallons a minute. He only needs a little piddle of cutting oil over the workpiece.

Reply to
EricP