What was that about shorting power lines?

No, that is a cursor, and on mine, it's a thin black line at right angles to the length of the rule.

The ^ (Shft-6 in the UK) on a computer keyboard is the "caret" and is used by some programs as a cursor. Or by mathematicians to denote "To the power of"

I've always thought of the "|" vertical line symbol as the pipe symbol, which may tell you where I learnt such batch programming as I've done.

Reply to
John Williamson

Exactly.

I learned of that symbol before pipes (of that kind) appeared in the UK and I started using them. So it's 'vertical bar' to me. 'batch' should probably be 'shell', although the symbol is probably used just as much interactively as in a shell script.

Reply to
Bob Eager

There's a tree on your phone? What does it want? To leaf a message?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer