What smells like gas but probably isn't gas?

You might want to check to see if it was recently repainted with B&Q's finest Valspar made paint. They had a big problem with a batch this year that lacked a crucial antifungal agent and goes seriously mouldy with odd smells like dead cat and urine.

Other paint manufacturers are laughing all the way to the bank.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Probably outgaqssing from the plastics (melamine?) used in the cabinets. Like a dead mouse, in time the smell will go

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The smell from the Granox rendering plant was quite entertaining.

Reply to
Cynic

We had a smell of gas that took a long time to track down. Even the British Gas bloke said the loss was too small to investigate, but the faint smell in one corner of the room was annoying. I knocked out some plaster where it had been chased into the wall, and at the top, I could see where the pipe bend had been hammered so that it could more easily be plastered over (it would otherwise have stuck proud of the wall). Over the years, the plaster had corroded the weakened (and unprotected) copper, until it eventually started to leak. It was only a tiny leak, but the mercaptan is, of course, very noticeably smelt.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

When I was young in and around SW London. you got things like Strong smell of beer, coffee in Putney, many places smelled of gas and one particular place smelled like candles. Smells can be very evocative.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff