What's The Name For These Washers

There is a washer that instead of having a round hole has small teeth that you push on to a fastening and it holds itself on by virtue of these teeth .What do you call these washers ?

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

Star washer

Reply to
Andy Burns

Something floats to the surface of the sewers of my consciousness muttering 'spire clip' but I am not sure if I trust it..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Shakeproof washers

Reply to
Slider

A push nut - like this?

grip the nut, not the shaft and I think spire clips are for self-tapping screws.

Reply to
Reentrant

As Andy Burns said the ones I am looking for are Star Washers .Thx to all who replied .

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

We always call them fairy cog wheels.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Along with circlips, they belong to the genus 'pingfuckits'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Strange ones, since we're talking about teeth on the *inside*.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Hah! but they're not really washers,they're securing clips.

Reply to
George

RS call them "push-on fasteners":-

Frank Erskine

That's exactly what happened when I took a couple off the stepladders last night .It went Ping and disappeared under a couch( I think)

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

Ah but when is a washer not a washer?

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

>> --

More names for them here

George

when it fails to wash the laundry. :-)

Reply to
George

When it's a brush !!! I had the task some many years ago of translating a UK Parts List into US Dept. of Defence 'ese. Time has dissipated the the name of the paper database I was using a reference but like this OP I was trying to translate star washers, wavy washers or something similar, when I came across "Washers, urinal". Puzzlement !!

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Star washer seems to be the best tho.

Perhaps corona washer would be better ;-)

Oh, thats the mexican who does the bottle washing innit?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

After all that I decided to go for coachbolts ,plain washers and locknuts . This is to replace the pins holding the hinges on my stepladders ( see other thread) . I'm damned if I am giving them away,freecycling them or skipping them .

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

The faeries may want to use it as an annulus gear for some epicyclic configuration.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

wot we yewsta call a 'fairy cycle' ;-)

Reply to