What IS U.K. Voltage ?

Is it 230 or 240 at present .? Why this came in to my head is that I noticed my shower has ratings for both these voltages .?

Stuart .( Glasgow)

Reply to
Stuart

The message from Stuart contains these words:

Generally 230. You could always shove a multimeter on it.

Reply to
Guy King

230V +10% / -6% IIRC
Reply to
Colin Wilson

Put it this way: nothing has changed since it was stated to be 240 volts.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The harmonised standard is 230V +10% / -6%, but the actual voltage remains at 240V.

Reply to
John Rumm

I believe it is something to do with the EU making things bland for all concerned.

Apparently the idea is that we should all be using 230v which is near enough to 240v to allow us to run 230v equipment without the need to change much else nor for us to cob all or 240 stuff. If you look on the PSU of modern desk tops they are rated for 230v supplies.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

I think it is more a case of providing a spec for equipment makers that would yield kit appropriate for marketing in any country... much of europe runs on 220V, we use 240V and I don't think that there was actually an intention to change the voltages actually used - just make sure equipment works ok anywhere in the anticipated range.

Reply to
John Rumm

On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 00:55:32 GMT someone who may be Guy King wrote this:-

In most cases the meter will show a no-load voltage of a few volts over 240V. However, this is officially called 230V.

Reply to
David Hansen

It is a very long term change that will take place as distribution equipment is replaced or upgraded. That used to be a 40 year cycle when I was in the industry.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Then you get a problem with european gear originally designed for 220v and just "up-specced" to 230v. You then apply 253v to it (230v +10%) and it does not last long. Especially items with transformers and ballasts etc. Some supplies in UK get higher too (mine regularly gets to 258v!)

Reply to
Tim Morley

In that case, call out the REC, and start filling in small claims forms :-)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Well complain it is out of spec. Our supply would occasionally get that high but would be running at the top end of 240 most of the time. We where getting through tungsten light bulbs rather faster than one would expect. Complained about voltage level, man from power company turned up within 2 hrs (they were near by) measured the voltage agreed it was high and the tap on "our" pole transformer was changed within a week. Light bulbs now last as one would expect and the UPS doesn't sit in "voltage reduction mode"...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Mine hovers at 250 to 253 but has lots of spikes to 258. The REC says not a problem as 95% of the time it is below 253...

Reply to
James Salisbury

You have been fobbed of then.

Reply to
Stephen Dawson

What fatuous spin! It should be 230V +/- 10% if it goes over that or under than then they are failing.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Nominally, but the tolerance means it can be 240. Generally nothing has been altered from when it was 240. It was intended that this would be (eventually addressed, but whether it will is another matter. Appliances should work over a wide enough tolerance to accept both 230 and 240, in fact about 216 to 253 IIRC. The exception is incandescent lamps, where the voltage is critical to efficiency and life, where importing contenental 230v lamps leads to very short lives. Uk lamps abroad have very much reduced efficiency, but prolonged life.

Reply to
<me9

Get a name, and fax them a copy of the small claims court forms :-p

Reply to
Colin Wilson