What is the best solution to extend a coax cable from one building to another?

The cable company will only run the cableTV, IP Phone and Cable Internet to the beginning of the road. I need to extend it an additional 1100 feet to my house. What is the best method and equipment to do this? I have attempted several times to have them run it down the private road to my house unsuccessfully; therefore, I am forced to look for alternative methods to do this myself. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Reply to
jcarriere

Good chance that 1100 feet and two properties hanging on one cable just isn't going to work electrically. For the IP stuff you could use normal wireless kit with high gain aerials. Anyway why pay for two cablemodem services when one will do. As it's beyond the limit for ethernet, CAT5 cabling may or may not work. If it doesn't there's other kit than can sit on CAT5 cable. Of course oldy fashioned thick ethernet would work but the cable would cost more than the wireless kit and be slower.

For the telly how about an aerial. And while you're on the roof you can fit one of those high gain 802.11 aerials.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Schneider

CT125 or equivalent is your only hope. I assume, like my old NTL connection, that you only need a single co-ax to run all the services unless you are also getting analogue phone lines.

Run it across the surface and test. If it works, bury it, or string it up. Run two in case of breakage.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

That's still over 45 dB loss at 860 MHz! A fatter pipe like WF340 (o/d = 19.8 mm, loss about 6 dB per 100 m) might help a bit more.

Really though the OP needs some discussion with the cable co.'s planning people, so that they can give him higher signal levels at the boundary.

Reply to
Andy Wade

Yes. I had a brain fart and translated 1100ft as 100m. 16dB would probably have been doable. 3 times that would require a very turned up line driver!

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

On 22 Jun 2006 05:10:18 -0700 someone who may be snipped-for-privacy@centurytel.net wrote this:-

What happens at the beginning of the road? Is there a suitable place for their terminal equipment? A roadside box or house perhaps? What is the output of that terminal equipment in terms of signals and connectors?

Depends on the above, presuming you are not supposed to connect directly to their cable.

I might consider a fibre optic connection. Radio might degrade in the wrong conditions, such as mist.

Won't they even quote a price to come down the private road?

Reply to
David Hansen

Also, I presume ADSL is a no-go?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 17:48:45 +0100 someone who may be David Hansen wrote this:-

I forgot to add that

might have something of interest.

Reply to
David Hansen

Its not really. Not with a switch at each end...

The time delay is outside spec, but with a fully buffered switch, thats not an issue. Attenuation is not bad over cat 5...it shoudl work at

300meters or so.

CAT5 cabling may or may not work. If it doesn't there's

Frankly running any kind of cable past over or under someone elses property is a complete nightmare.

Get freeview and ADSL mate, and stop dreaming..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ethernet should do 1000 ft per segment. So it ought to work, even if you need to stick a repeater (i.e. a hub/switch) somewhere in the middle (use PoE to power it).

Reply to
John Rumm

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Jonathan Schneider saying something like:

Why spend money?

Grimly Curmudgeon