What is it, asbestos?

In our 1982 build house, behind the gas fire, is a grey painted board where the flue goes through. It's cold and heavy, about 5mm thick and quite bendy. Asbestos based or not? To big to go in the car without snapping it. Just wet it, snap it (if it will), bag it up, and dump it? Ta.

Reply to
Grumps

Round here needs to be double bagged and you need to phone the tip to let em know you have some, if you just dump it and they see you, youre in deep s%$t

Reply to
Staffbull

I didn't think asbestos or any form of asbestos mix was "quite bendy"

I've found little squares of it dotted around our 1970's house being used for spacers and packing material.

Reply to
PeTe33

Maybe it's not asbestos. I'll bend it more tomorrow.

Got any photos?

Reply to
Grumps

Thermoplastic floor tiles are 'quite' bendy and may well contain asbestos fibres.

So long as there's no wear there's no release of fibres and the risk is low.

Reply to
OG

I didn't take any. It pops up in the most un-expected places. under window cills, at the end of joists, between end of wall and return (inner cavity walls in the roof)

Just light grey, about 5mm thick and very rigid. An ideal spacer seemed to have a multitude of uses when they did our house.

Can't remember now, but I'm sure some of the stuff had a dimpled surface.

Reply to
PeTe33

Grumps expressed precisely :

Asbestos is not bendy, it is very rigid.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Asbestos cement is very rigid, but asbestos need not be - fire blankets used to be made from asbestos. However, by 1982 asbestos substitute boards were common and I would expect it to be one of those.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

A good night's rain, some gloves, and a little pressure made it snap in two. It doesn't look fibrous, but I'm not going to inspect too closely. Now bagged up. I'm going to assume it's not asbestos, so it's off to the dump later.

Reply to
Grumps