What heater wont dry out my skin? wake up sweating - horrible.

I live in Scotland

Got a fan heater from Argos

In the night it's cold

I put the heater on

I wake up (around 2pm) usually sweating cos the heat is so high

(but at night time it's cold)

It totally dries my skin out

Any ideas? Alternative heater? Should i get an oil filled radiator?

Thanks

Reply to
Mike

its hot cos your heater is on so high an oil rad is no better, but less fire risk a non electric heat source would be much cheaper and finally why is it so cold indoors? It may be you need more insulation

Finally a very energy efficient alt to space heating is an electric blanket of the kind you can keep on all night. Makes getting into bed a much nicer experience :)

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Either the thermostat on your fan heater is turned to maximum/doesn't work, or you are suffering from tuberculosis.

Reply to
DIY

Naah. All you need is a four poster bed.

2*2 corner posts and top - 20m of, maybe 15 quid. 6 sheets of 50mm kingspan, 120 quid. Roll of tape - a fiver.

Body heat will keep this at 25C down to 10C outside or so. Add a 100W heater, and you're good to -10C.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

fan heaters are not good for you, you will end up with a bad throat because they remove moisture leaving it dry and open to infection, either get an oil filled heater or a halogen heater and use the thermostat to keep the temperature stable...you only need to take the chill off the room, not get it hot

Reply to
Phil L

You need a better thermostat. Set it to about 15C. Then get a duvet and you should be fine.

Reply to
dennis

Turn the heating off at night and get yourself a 5'5" 37.4-degree hot water bottle like mine - far better in all sorts of ways. Certainly doesn't dry my skin out, that's for sure.

And mine's Scottish too as it happens!

David

Reply to
Lobster

How much ventilation does it need? The one downside I see with that is that it will be cold getting into bed, and I hate getting into a cold bed. Maybe combine the two!

NT

Reply to
meow2222

There speaks a man without a clue.

All heaters will 'dry' the air except those that actually add water..like paraffin stoves..

Put a bowl of petunias in the room with lots of water .. they will transpire and keep the RH up.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

....and typically tight :)

Reply to
Matt

Oh no, not again.

Reply to
Petuni

yawn.

Everyone knows this, including me, the op and everyone else, ergo it doesn't need to be said, unless you think you are clever and everybody else needs informing?

but a fan heater is worse because of the movement of air, a normal free standing heater that doesn't blow will simply take the chill off the room and make it more comfortable to sleep in without taking moisture from your throat.

Reply to
Phil L

If you think that radiators don't circulate air, you are even stupider than you appear.

All a fan blown radiator does, is get the room up to temperature quicker, that's all.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Stupider eh?

I see....thanks for clearing that up then, so a fan heater doesn't dry the skin / throat / nose any more than every other type of heater....maybe you should tell the OP.

Reply to
Phil L

The methane digester underneath the bed adds lots of heat, and has a gas bag on top, to run a balanced flue heater :)

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Only if it has a higher output.

It may heat it more evenly in which case it might take longer.

Reply to
dennis

Well actually it heats it more evenly which results in cold spots heating up quicker and hot spots heating up slower.

I've got fan blown convectors in some rooms and rads in others. No difference really to the final result.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher