What groups across Usenet are still well-used for their intended purpose?

I?m doing some research for an article and would appreciate any pointers towards groups that are still, in 2019, well-trafficked and on-topic. For example, rec.autos.sport.F1. What groups across Big 8, uk.*, and other hierarchies do you keep in your subs list due to the good reading they make?

Ta.

Reply to
Stephen Cole

You could try this one.

alt.activism.death-penalty

;-)

Enjoy

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

On 13 Sep 2019, Stephen Cole wrote (in article ):

I?m sure there are none. The moment a NG becomes active and popular the trolls move in and start spamming. It?s an almost full time task to keep up with them and kill files them. This NG, uk.d-i-y is rapidly going that way. Give it another year and it will be unreadable. pfj

Reply to
pete

That very much depends on the user, surely? OK you can kill file people, but as text is such a low memory eating system, most of the time you just pick the threads that interest you just as you would because of topics on topic which do not interest you. I think the worst ones are those where the advertisers spam the groups, dealing with people paranoid about politics or whatever does not worry me in the slightest, if you let it do so you would never read anything on the internet due to adverts and click through links etc. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Also the rise of search engines and forum sites has made Usenet a bit redundant for 'i need help' inquiries.

The only saving grace is that its is the one place that is not censored by anyone but its participants.

Which is why UK.d-i-y is highly political right now. Where else can you have freedom of speech?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I was going to, tongue-in-cheek, say alt.test but having had a quick look I'm not sure even that is the case any more! ;-)

Reply to
Mathew Newton

I do think that some of the posters fixated by politics should give up listening/viewing any news broadcast and stop reading any newspaper or similar Internet content for a month. When they resume they may find that f*ck all has changed apart from their mental health for the previous month.

Reply to
alan_m

In non uk.* hierarchies I have seen a few+ NG unable to survive pre-election surge of NTG political spam. It won't kill uk.politics.misc! ;-)

Reply to
A. Filip

uk.legal is already at that stage

Reply to
FMurtz

That of course is why, some years ago, ulm was established. But it does have its disadvantages for wide-ranging discussion.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Didn't someone say, quite wisely: "Put politics in command!" What is more important?

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Stephen Cole brought next idea :

uk.people.consumers.ebay

Reply to
Gladys Street-Porter

What was that criticism that you laid at my door for replying to all NGs without deleting the crossposts?

Physician (literally), heal thyself!

Reply to
Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downst

Most of the ones that do stay OT are near moribund. All the old farts that still want Usenet need to vent their spleen.

For OT groups on a specific subject, FB etc has taken over. If nothing else for the ease of posting pics, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I suspect that the original poster is being disingenuous and deliberately misleading in his stated aims, for, having been justifiably panned for spamming irrelevant comments across several usenet NGs, he is unable to accept that his attention-seeking is in the wrong and is seeking to sanitise his own antisocial actions by then claiming that all NGs are similarly affected.

Do NOT feed the cole troll!

(Cross posts to NGs other than the one I read have been deleted)

Reply to
Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downst

talk.origins

Reply to
Reentrant

Newsgroups: uk.net.news.management,uk.legal,uk.d-i-y,uk.politics.misc

Thread binned.

Reply to
Martyn Barclay

LOL. Ta.

Reply to
Stephen Cole

If only!

Reply to
tabbypurr

Ah but remember blind people can't read pictures. I'd not go near Facebook they are just data harvesters and their interface is awful for blind use. That is why I like Usenet. text. After all if you really want to send a pic, you can link it to your cloud storage, and before you suggest these pic recognition things, they are rubbish. Three men in a boat or a polar bear all out of the same shot.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff