what grade of grit to loosen my shaft?

Hi all Simple form of question: what grade of grit would the team suggest to try to loosen a steel shaft which is supposed to rotate 'reasonably' freely within a housing arm?

The shaft is around 1-inch diameter and about 5 inches long.

This is for a cycle workstand which I think may have been left in the rain. The shaft is supposed to rotate freely and then be clamped up, but it is somewhat stiff in the hole, ooh-er. I've cleaned the shaft pretty well but suspect there is rust or other crud inside the bored hole.

My plan is to add a bit of carborundom grit to loosen things up a bit and then clean everything up afterwards, but I'm unsure what grit to use. Last time I did anything like that I was grinding telescope mirrors...

Other suggested approaches welcome ;-)

Cheers jon N

Reply to
jkn

KY grade 4.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Wrap a bit of wet or dry 240 or a bit coarser round some dowel stick of appropriate size and rotate it in the hole.

Reply to
F Murtz

Or steel wool. Big wad around a dowel, more than 1". Put dowel in electric drill, and work into housing while spinning.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

T-cut (and friends), only.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

How about the sort of grinding paste used for re-seating car engine valves (if anyone still does that!)?[1] Start with fine and use something a bit coarser if that isn't enough.

[1] I think I've still got some, even though I haven't used it for decades.
Reply to
Roger Mills

Whatever grade of emery cloth you would imagine using for the job. Then tha t grade of grit. I got a selection off Axminster some time ago.

ISTR as a child loosening up ball bearings which were rusted up by leaving them to soak in paraffin oil. We used them for home made gliders. If the sh aft was to a close tolerance originally could it have got that rusted up ? Perhaps a good dose of oil and left to marinade over night might do it.

Reply to
fred

I'd pick something hard enough to remove rust, but not hard enough to remove steel. Aluminium foil fits that requirement.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

+1 for steel wool. Also, if you oil it with 3 in 1 the additives will help remove the rust, and you will slightly improve the rust-resistance of the bush for next time.
Reply to
newshound

Thanks for the ideas. I think I'll go with the steel wool on dowel suggestion, I at least have some of that in.

Cheers Jon N

Reply to
jkn