What a useful bit of kit!

Horrendous heating bills!

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Indeed. I have a two step step ladder, but it has the sides extended up to a fold down work holding tray that also stops you stepping off the wrong side.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Granite walls and high ceilings. We don't bother with oil supply companies now - it was cheaper to run a pipe from the North Sea direct to our boiler ...

Reply to
News

Did you know that 7ft of granite fully meets modern insulation requirements?

Ok its a bit bulkier than celotex..

Makes you wonder how warm those castles really might have been..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But the insulation has thermal mass. Having spent the summer in a castle, in a heat wave, I can say that south facing solid stone walls make very good storage radiators in summer but I have it on good authority that the opposite effect is to be noticed in winter.

Reply to
djc

well exactly. Your bijou castle stays the same temperature all year round.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , djc writes

Very good authority! Our house, in Aberdeenshire, has solid granite walls, and it is often warmer outside than in, during the summer. During winter it is bitterly cold indoors, without the heating on full blast. OK, there is no insulation apart from the loft, and we still have the original Victorian single glazed sash windows, neither of which help, but the whole fabric of the building is cold.

Reply to
News

Totally forgetting about the draughts, Murgatroyd.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I've made a point of making mine 8ft max - plenty high enough and not so high to run into the warm-air-all-up-there problem. With insulated walls and sheepswool in the ceiling, the 400W of lighting is enough to keep the room warm. Kitchen next...

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Maidstone. My daughter lives there.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

No problem, I'm 7'6" tall :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The DO have doors, and they are MILES away from the living room

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Graham. wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

LOL! Yeah, I thought he was going to say:

"It did indeed last him the rest of his life, however, his life ended the first time he used it..."

Al Shahadie