What a surprise...

B&Q takes wind turbines off shelves Turbine range withdrawn from sale after recent survey reveals they don't work as effectively as first thought

The Medway Handyman

In message , The Medway Handyman wrote

that B&Q first started stocking the wind turbines. Studies had already been published that concluded that in the majority of urban environments that the energy produced to the £1k investment would be negligible.

Reply to
Alan

Bet they're still selling CFLs though ;)

Reply to
Jules

grounds of unfitness for purpose. Or perhaps misleading advertising.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

There were some purchasers?

Reply to
Rod

It sort of implies they will, and says they're even proactively contacting the purchasers of them to let them know.

I wonder if they're getting the money back from their suppliers?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

This subject has been on my mind for the past 2 days. All wind turbines seem to be blades mounted vertically on a horizontal axle/axis. These can only be 100% efficient if the wind blows directly onto the face of the blades.

If instead of blades they had the things you see on some wid speed measurement devices that have 3 or more cup shaped receptacles on horizontal bars fixed to a vertical axis. The wind can hit these assemblies at any angle it chooses with no difference to the efficiency of the 'machine'.

I can only conclude that the prevalance of bladed wind turbines means there is a basic weakness of the wind-vane method.eg transmission of energy or torque or something like that.

Anyone got any ideas on this?

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur2

Coincidently this design was in the news today at a town not far from me.

the store mentioned has installed them at a number of locations.

One phone in caller made a point that possibly a better way to save energy would be to shut the store an hour earlier .

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Didn't a Mr Cameron get one?

Reply to
<me9

{Writes word 'geoff' on piece of paper and discovers has inadvertantly carved it into laminated desk surface}

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur2

In message , Frank Erskine writes

I'm waiting for them to ban dolphin showers as being unfit for porpoise

Reply to
geoff

That is why these things have a big tail fin and a turbine body that is free to rotate - they should always face the wind if there is a nice steady flow. Needless to say in an urban environment with turbulent flow they can't ever really face the wind since it gusts from all over the place.

Anemometer?

That is what the tail does really...

John Rumm

I suspect it's a bit harder to 'feather' those sorts of designs so they don't self-destruct during really high winds. Other than that though, not sure...

Related note: aren't the "egg beater" vertical turbines supposed to be more efficient than horizontal-axis ones, and will also (like the anemometer) work happily with wind blowing from any direction?

Reply to
Jules

That's why they can be trimmed into the wind

Or indeed out of it, as one way to survive over-strong winds.

Vertical axis machines have much lower efficiencies in comparision. They're getting better, and in gusty, crowded urban settings they might even have the advantage.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Also I think the bladed turbines are more difficult to design mechanically and maintain. If the Anemometer had several sets of 'cups' of differing sizes with I dunno...a sophisticated gearing system that demesh cup sets if the wind is too strong and optimise for starting up after a wind drop.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur2

Now that is a good point. But this is about greenwash, not saving enegy.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Isn't part of the problem that the "cups" have to be driven in reverse through the air-flow though? So when facing the wind, the cup catches the air and is driven backwards, but the cup on the exact reverse of the pole is actually having to go forwards through the wind?

Matt

Reply to
matthew.larkin

If the cup was a cone or bugle shape the resistance would be reduced significantly I would assume.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur 51

And it has to do so faster than the one going with the wind. Not ideal for generating power rather than counting revs.

Reply to
dennis

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember geoff saying something like:

Is this your coat? The one with 'Tarbuck' embroidered on the breast pocket?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon