Wet car carpets an the waterproof membrane in car doors

Evostik type glues work ok for this application. Might 'melt' some types of paint, though, but not, I'd say, modern ones.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That may well be the case but as, I take it, you have not ever tried it for sticking to polythene, I won't lash out my dosh to be the guinea-pig. I still think a roll of double-sided vinyl/lino tape is my best bet. Thanks for the suggestion and links anyway.

-- Phil Replace NOSPAM with bigfoot to reply

Reply to
Phil

Yes, I have used it in the past an it does stick fine, but Evostik fails the re-stick criteria. The original manufacturers adhesive stayed tacky and you could peel off the membrane, and it will stick back down again. But after 14 years it has finally hardened.

-- Phil Replace NOSPAM with bigfoot to reply

Reply to
Phil

Thanks for the research, but all I read there is about sealants. Nowhere is there a clue that it might, or might not, adhere to polythene. Personally, I don't think it will.

-- Phil Replace NOSPAM with bigfoot to reply

Reply to
Phil

Given how hard they are to pop out, I think they make a sufficient seal. They are obviously not hermetic but there is no water pressure behind them so surface tension will prevent water getting through a very small gap. However, all I can vouch for is that there is no sign of leakage through mine. It is all via the bottom of the detached membrane.

No chance of mine filling up, there are plenty of drain holes at the bottom.

Well, that's what I thought for years, but I now have proof enough, for me, that all 3 of mine are wetting the carpet via that route. Hopefully that will now be a *were* wetting the carpet. Time will tell.

Guy King's observation about it also being a vapour barrier to protect the door innards from the *compartment* moisture is a good point too.

-- Phil Replace NOSPAM with bigfoot to reply

Reply to
Phil

Well, personally I'm telling you it does, but heck you won't believe someone who actually works with the stuff !...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

I only asked if you'd actually seen it stick onto polythene! "works with the stuff" isn't quite an answer to that is it? Or do you mean you work with it for sticking polythene?

-- Phil Replace NOSPAM with bigfoot to reply

Reply to
Phil

Hi,

I can tell you for a fact that good quality aluminium tape WILL stick to polythene/PVC.

I expect this is because the adhesive is non setting, and undergoes no change over time. Unlike normal glues which set then let go, it remains just as sticky as when it was first applied.

So a non setting compound should behave in a similar way, also how do you think the door liner was stuck in in the first place?

If in doubt go to a good glaziers and ask for a non setting mastic that will stick to PVC.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Try this entry in Google search, it will give you Volkswagens system.

"replacing vapor barrier in car door"

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

Just piss F*** off moron

PLONK

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

How to win friends and influence people.:-) Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Well I don't know. Maybe you missed the original post, but that is exactly what I am asking.

Will do, thanks.

-- Phil Replace NOSPAM with bigfoot to reply

Reply to
Phil

Thanks - that one was useful, but not quite spot on for me, but led to this

which is a VW manual. It says use double sided tape... da-daaa. Also says it is to keep out water, wind and noise, and it WILL cause rain leaks if not sealed properly.

So sorted. Thanks everyone.