Well OT: Heart surgery - what would you do?

On 06/08/2014 17:45, Tim Watts wrote: ...

First few days? They had me walking about the hospital on day two.

Particularly driving, which you won't be allowed to do for a while (I forget how long).

If you don't have a shower, or prefer not to use it, buy a seat to go across the bath. For the first six weeks, while the breastbone knits, you can't do any heavy lifting, such as levering yourself out of the bath.

Reply to
Nightjar

It's not just a theory - there is a good basis for it, and the figure is not that different across several different species too - somewhere around 2.5E9.

However, by exercising, your heart becomes more efficient and pumps more with each beat, so your heart rate drops. 15+ years ago when I cycled

4500 miles in 9 months, my resting pulse rate was down to 45b/m at the end. (I'm not as fit now, and it's probably 50-53 b/m.) As long as you are not exercising so much that your heart does get the opportunity to rest, then the average heart rate over a long period drops, and it takes longer you use up all your heart beats!

I have a friend whose resting heart rate is under 35 b/m, as he spends his time hill running. At a couple of company medicals, they've been very concerned and almost called an ambulance, so he ends up having to explain it to doctors from time to time. Of course, a pulse rate of 35 b/m in someone who isn't a fitness fanatic with a high VO2 max would be very concerning.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

This is the kind of thing you can't second guess. Around 11 years ago I had a stroke, a bleed, no prior symptoms, no history of high BP etc. It turned out I had an aneurysm, it could have gone anytime or never. I was lucky as these things go, most people don't survive. I returned to work after 6 weeks and you would be hard pressed to know I'd had a stroke. A lot of people have aneurysms, some burst, some don't.

Take the doctor's advice, discuss your concerns with him.

Good luck.

Reply to
Brian Reay

I imagine by now, two years later, he's either dead or alive.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Are you sure, he could be undead...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I thought that was only the case for Remoaners

Reply to
Capitol

This was a while agonow.

Ahem. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Good point, hopefully the latter and doing well.

Sorry, I totally missed the date of the post I was responding to.

Reply to
Brian Reay