Well OT - expected life of public buildings; leisure/sports centre

The painted breeze block buildings in Goodricke are still there. In fact, I didn't notice any buildings missing.

A whole lot of new stuff though. Including an entirely new Goodricke... the old Cell Block C is now part of Wentworth. Perhaps it was that in your day.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I don't believe it needed any special runway. The power to weight ratio was rather better than most aircraft, and made up for the extra speed needed.

I didn't find it cramped either, not compared to the back of a wide body with 3-4-3 seats at 28 inch pitch...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

It was never economic in the first place. That's why BA got it for free, they didn?t have to pay anything for them.

It was never going to be economic when it couldn?t fly supersonic over land and one of the few viable routes was europe to New York.

Reply to
543dsa

It was never going to be ecinomic when competing commercial interests lobbied hard to ensure it was banned from supersonic flight over land. It was of course perfectly capable of it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No lobbying was required.

Yes, but no country was silly enough to allow that.

Reply to
543dsa

OOH! Does that mean that HS2 will get junked?

Because your second sentence applies exactly to that project, *even before* they got to digging the first sod ... if we call "ticket price" the ***incalculable billions*** of ***our money*** that they will spend.

:-|

John

Reply to
Another John

It was nosey, alright!

Reply to
Another John

Many older cities have Victorian suburbs, built when the railway came along. Most obviously places like London. So already 150 years old or so and still in excellent condition if maintained. And plenty much earlier.

Wouldn't like to guess how long a modern timber framed house will last - given the timber used these days.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The US would have if they hadn't given up their supersonic ambitions.

Reply to
Max Demian

No

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

No they would not. They wouldn?t even allow it to land in New York until it was demonstrated that it wasn?t all that noisy on takeoff.

Reply to
543dsa

I mean US plans to build their own supersonic airliner.

Reply to
Max Demian

The US only kicked up a fuss about the noise and put restrictions on it because their own supersoniv airliner project had stalled and they didn't want to allow Concorde to be successful and build a larger market.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Wish they'd done the same here. It was a beautiful plane to see in the sky

- but not to hear. Which round here you did even without seeing it.

Oh - Concord as a whole never made a profit. So why should the rest of us subsidise travel for the super rich?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That was obvious, but you are still wrong about that.

Reply to
543dsa

Mindless conspiracy theory. New York didn?t like the idea of the alleged massive amount of noise it made on takeoff even before it went supersonic, but when it was demonstrated that it was actually quiet enough to not even trigger the noise monitoring systems, were happy to allow it to fly into and out of New York.

But never allowed it to fly supersonic over land there.

Reply to
543dsa