removing glued down flooring

My new house has a kitchen where the floor has been glued down across the whole area with adhesive (looks like evostick, but I guess it's a commercial version).
As I try and pull the old floor up it breaks off in small lumps
Is there some clever way to break down the adhesive (through the flooring) so that it is easier to lift, or do I just have to go over the whole floor with a scraper?
tim
In short, probably yes. Trying to use a solvent usually makes the person using it end up unconscious or hallucinating and still ends up with a gooey sticky mess. I remember having to do this in our bathroom which had tiles glued down with this stuff. Brian
--
----- --

Bosch makes an electric scraper with a tungsten carbide blade for doing this sort of job.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Yes - I've got one. Some heat from a hot air stripper will help too.
Make sure you have plenty ventilation to the room.
--
*I don't suffer from insanity -- I'm a carrier

On Sunday, 9 September 2018 07:07:08 UTC+1, tim... wrote:

no.

On 09/09/2018 08:05, tim... wrote:

You could try warming it with a hot air gun. Whether you could get it warm enough to soften the bond is something you will need to see. A mask and open windows (fumes) would be a good idea.
I'm curious, what is the flooring? Vinyl, at least the stuff we've had professionally laid, was taped at the edges. Wood normally clips together etc. The large tile like boards, I assumed, were similar.
Of course, someone could have done something totally different ;-)
--

Smile for the camera ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxyL2_38EsQ

Vinyl

whatever this means, it wasn't done.
On 09/09/2018 07:05, tim... wrote:

I recently used a SDS drill with hammer action and a chisel tool to take up glued vinyl tiles. These were brittle as indeed yours sound brittle too.
Two areas were glued differently. One area came up in chips, the other large chunks of tile. YMMV
Hard work and ear defenders but there is none left in the areas I worked on.
Some glues might be soluble in water. Possibly worth a soak but I don't hold out much hope. Vinyl is impervious to water and I presume virtually all solvents.

not tiles, a single piece
and it isn't brittle. It's soft
as you try and leverage up the flooring to get a bit more off, the bit in your hand breaks off

On Sunday, 9 September 2018 15:35:02 UTC+1, tim... wrote:

A garden spade used as a scraper might work. Not as hard on the back and knees.
On 09/09/2018 17:31, harry wrote:

I've tried a gardening hoe on glued carpet with poor results, but it might work for lino.