Weekly spends on domestic requisoites

You're very lucky. Nearest shops both ways down our road are Tescos. Nearest petrol station to my route to work, and nearest supermarket to my office are also Tescos.

That said I walk halfway across town a couple of times a week to buy bread in Waitrose. It's more money, but so much better! Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

no one does bread like waitrose.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I agree. There is now a Waitrose 8 miles away on the other side of Canterbury. However my wife works about 150 yards from it so we get the benefit sometimes. And we get a lot of stuff from Ocado anyway.

Reply to
Bob Eager

think the claim (in the title) is ridiculous.

I buy BOGOFs all the time and I have never in my life thrown away food because I haven't got around to eating it.

People who are minded to overfill their fridge and not rotate the food properly will do so regardless of the existence, or not, of BOGOFs.

(In any case, the numbers that I have seen suggest that 80% of food waste is from the supply chain, not the shopper, after s/he has bought it)

And the point is?

I repeat, unless the item is short life fresh veg (or fruit), it will store one way or another long enough until it is needed (and even some of the veg/fruit will store longer if you cook it first)

The problem in most supermarkets is packet size. If I buy a packet of veg I am eating it everyday for the week. I prefer to be able to select my own quantities. The price is irrelevant

I agree.

I am amazed at the difference in price for basic products with zero difference in cleaning power.

But this is no differente to generic drugs. 25p for a packet of ibuprofen/aspirin/paracetamol, 2.69 for a "brand" containing exactly the same chemical composition, why do so many people pay it?

tim

Reply to
tim....

Same here.

Agreed, I reckon most food waste is down to the dates that everything has on it these days. I know many people who will bin anything that is past any the date printed on it. Me? If it looks OK and smells OK it probably is OK, sod the dates...

I can see that for some fruit and veg but all the staples are available loose surely? It's the slighly more exotic things like sugar snap peas, mange toute, baby corn/leek/carrot, pak choi, etc that is only available in packs.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

GILF?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

More money? I buy Warburton's Seeded Batch bread. It is £1.40 in Waitrose and £2.01 in the Co-op.

Reply to
Bob Martin

>I think the claim (in the title) is ridiculous.

Halitosis?

What's youre spend on Listerine?

HN

Reply to
H. Neary

I'm surprised I'm less isolated than you; having lived in the sticks here for so long I've got used to no shops on my doorstep. There's a Lidl and Aldi 12 miles from me, another pair 20 miles away, a local supermart 5 miles (only the odd visit from me). For years the only money-saver at all was a solitary Lidl store, but it was worthwhile doing the trip for a monthly shop. The Irish supermarket chains had the rip-off mentality down to a fine art and it wasn't until Lidl appeared on the scene that things changed.

Reply to
grimly4

miles or

We are probably the most isolated town in England. "England's Last Wilderness", although not liked by some, is pretty accurate. You can pretty much place six Dartmoors around Alston and not seriously overlap anything other than small villages here and there. And Dartmoor has a relatively dense population and road network.

Aye, you do get used to it. If going some where you always think what else can I do/get on the same trip. No.1 Daughter failed dismally to get out of bed this morning so had to take her to school (well late), got milk etc but forgot that I need to also check what fish food the petshop has. Might have to make a second trip... Grrr.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice