Weekly spends on domestic requisoites

There are now just the wife and I and we spend about £240 a month mostly in Tescos but we are moving away from them because of their attempts to rip you off at every chance.A few years ago that money covered spending for two atheletic children and us two so don't be too hard on SWMBO. I do the shopping myself so perhaps try doing the weekly shop yourself and see where the money goes. Robbie

Reply to
Roberts

£60 per week? I wish.
Reply to
brass monkey

A bit off topic ? but I agree totally. Tesco's do adopt underhand tactics. I've seen things "misplaced" on shelves quite frequently and even fell foul myself once. Needless to say the misplaced items always end up in a cheaper space.

The other gripe are these "for one" offers. I feel ripped off if I only want a normal quantity, so I just use Morrisons or Asda.

Anyway, I'm coming to the conclusion that people should forget investing in banks, gold, shares etc. The optimum investment is probably tinned fish.

My staple diet has doubled in price over the last year or so.

HN

Reply to
H. Neary

From what I observe on the odd occasion I go anywhere near a city centre, people are eating continuously. Why they need any food at home I can't imagine.

Reply to
stuart noble

Kebabs, Mc Donalds, KFC. One needs the odd few nutrients with the grease salt & sugar.

HN

Reply to
H. Neary

You must indeed be from a fortunate part of the planet. My recollection of donors is a nice hot spicy meal ideally suited to round off an almighty booze up.

Leave the remnants on the table, floor or whatever and you wake up to view a pale grey corpse like material poking out from a pitta bread in the throes of rigour mortis.

As a colleague once pointed out, "kebab shops just couldn't exist without pubs", "who would dream of eating a kebab when sober".

On another note, how does all the fat remain in the "meat" after the boil up?

I also wonder how someone can rotate a cwt or so of meat in front of a grill plate for hours on end without giving everyone food poisining. Very little of the "meat" can actually be cooked in this manner surely? I would suspect the mean temperature of the lot would be only

10 or so degrees above the room.

On a plus point I would imagine that the lemon juice is quite healthy:-)

HN

Reply to
H. Neary

No, not whole shelves. Take a look at some of the cut price "bargains", often a slightly different product is placedclose to or in the place of the "bargain" and care is needed to identify that the "offer" apples to that item.

The last rip off they tried was at Bangor at Xmas [I do not shop at Tesco's a lot].

Jamesons on offer at around £16 a bottle. There was no £16-00 Jamesons in view though, and of course in it's place directly under the offer was a shelf full of 12year old.

Having a bit of time on my hands and having fallen foul of Tescos ploy's once before, I complained when as expected, my "bargain" came to £23-00.

I eventually walked out of the store with my Jameson's at £16-00, having had a certain amount of amusement along with it.

If I had thought it were an honest error by some hurrying shelf stacker I would not have insisted on purchasing at the offered price. Tesco's however have a track record in this field and how many people check each individual bottle price on the till reciept at Xmas?

I'm sure they made plenty from their "error".

I use Asda all the time, with occasional trips to Morrisons. I cannot recollect a problem of a similar nature with either.

HN

Reply to
H. Neary

8<

I stopped shopping in Tesco because of their attempt to rip me of over cases of wine. They had loads of cases piled up with an offer price on them but when you got to pay it was some other wine that was on special. I then had a look around and these "wrong" product labels were all over the store. I went from being one of the top 200 customers to a customer elsewhere.

The best service for whiskey was Sainsburys, I picked up the empty tube for a special offer half bottle and took it to the till to pay, they then sent a member of staff to get the real bottle. After 10 minutes waiting I ask where they were. They still hadn't come back after another five minutes and a manager went to see. He came back and said they had lost the product and asked if a full bottle would be OK if he refunded what we had paid. That saved me £44 on an xmas present.

Sainsburys also gave me the worst service when they failed to deliver out xmas shopping because of snow. Made worse because we had booked an evening delivery slot and they all went home early so there was nobody there when we phoned to see why we hadn't got out delivery. They paid us £50 for that cockup.

Asda is my local store so it gets used a lot, never had any real problems there.

BTW I spend about £150-£200 pw on "groceries".

Reply to
dennis

WTP?

Unless it's veg you either keep the extra item in the cupboard or stick it in the freezer

tim

Reply to
tim....

SWMBO encountered a case of this (smoothies, etc.) and took photos with her phone. She was challenged by a very snotty employee, to which she replied "It's a public place and I teach retail law". Then she walked off!

Reply to
Bob Eager

I do... but more often than not I won't have picked what I think will be the cheaper until I have checked the price in the other place in the store that the same goods are kept. This normally only applies between the chilled and frozen departments.

I can't say I've noticed "misplaced" stuff which I assume means that the shelf edge ticket description doesn't match the product. I have caught the shelf ticket not matching what the POS beeps up though.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Hmmm. We're lucky! Morrisons 1 mile, Sainsburys 2 miles, Tesco 4 miles, Asda 6 miles, Lidl 6 miles, Aldi now (unfortunately) 15 miles. Only parking charges are for Morrisons but we only use that in emergency, for the same reasons you cite.

Homebase 800 yards! Waste of shoe leather.

Reply to
Bob Eager

A week or two ago Sainsburys were selling Smirnoff vodka at £15.98 (or something like that) for a 700ml bottle. Fair enough, but next to the loads of unsold bottles there were a few one litre bottles of Smirnoff vodka at £15.00 each...

I've noticed that places like Sainsburys do quite large reduction "special offers", such as Schweppes tonic for £1.00 instead of £1.17, and Burgen seedy loaves (yes - I occasionally buy non-booze) for £1.00 reduced from £1.20, but that has since gone up to £1.39. Fine for non-perishables...

The retail market seems to be very volatile at the moment. Even BP locally have brought the price of their unleaded petrol (137.9p) to below that of Shell a couple of hundred yards away...

I'm quite fortunate that I have a few super(?)markets reasonably locally. If I really could be arsed to walk, Sainsburys is about 10 mins away, Morrisons perhaps 20 mins, and Asda is 6 or 7 mins drive from here.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

You have just described my breakfast.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

In message , H. Neary

Reply to
Alan

Asda ~800 yards, you drive/walk past lidl and toolstation on the way.

Tesco ~2 miles the other way near screwfix.

Aldi is about 1 mile past Morrisons which is ~2 miles.

Sainsburys, comet, homebase, argos, etc. 2 miles the opposite way to Morrisons.

All free parking if you get a refund by spending £5 in morrisons.

Then there is merry hell about 6 miles away.

Reply to
dennis

I should also have said: extensive pleasant woodland 2 miles, beach 800 yards!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Woodland, river and nature reserve about 400 yards. No beach but I don't really like beaches.

Reply to
dennis

Some supermarkets show the price per 100g/100ml of products on the shelf price ticket.

Clearly the second; 5p extra for 2 more items.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

of the shopping in supermarkets must surely be for food.

I used Tesco's for fruit & vegetables but felt I was being ripped off if I only wanted a normal quantity.

For cleaning products I find Aldi or Lidl hard to beat, probably because a lot of their own brand products do not have advertising agencies to support.

HN

Reply to
H. Neary