Webb Mower again Air Filter

Regular readers will perhaps remember that we have got an old Webb mower going that he found in the shed of his house.

The Briggs and Stratton 5 HP engine has a foam insert in its air filter. The engine was running roughly and the plug was very black, so he washed and re-oiled the foam as per manufacturer's instructions. The mower now runs fine, but some bits of foam fell off during the wash phase, so I was given the job of finding a replacement.

A local mower repair place looked up the engine model, type and code numbers and discovered there were at least 6 different possible filters, mostly now unobtainable. None seemed to match the one on the engine. I've also looked on ebay..

My question is - Is it possible to buy replacement foam sheets to cut to shape? Presumably it has to be open cell, oil, fuel and heat proof.

Reply to
Bill

Google for 'air filter media'. RS and the like will almost certainly sell some too. Failing that, a car or motorbike shop?

Reply to
Chris Bartram

B&S had PDF files of all the components numbered next to exploded diagrams for each engine they've ever made. I was amazed at what's still available via their dealer network at reasonable prices (compared to B&Q etc!) You could of course be looking at someone's substitution of parts, but foam is foam so just buy a slightly bigger filter and chop it to size.

Reply to
Part Timer

In message , Part Timer writes

I have what I think is the exploded diagram and parts list for this engine, but the air cleaner filter has a number of options, none of which seem to match precisely. Interestingly, the files I saw looking over the shoulder of the person in the mower repair place were different and had more pictures, but were equally vague. There are no actual dimensions shown.

I have looked up foam filter material today and will go down that route if I have to, but an ebay seller has come good by comparing dimensions of one of his foam inserts with what I have, so I'm waiting for the postman over the next few days to see if it fits.

Reply to
Bill