weak point in otherwise secure flat - ideas

And some police forces offer free bicycle marking schemes.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

It depends on the area. You don't want to be either the first or the last to fit an alarm. The former suggests you have something worth guarding, while the latter means you are the easier option the thieves move on to.

Don't you believe it. Criminals often know more about alarm systems than the installers. They will know from the type and age of the box on the wall outside what sort of alarm you are likely to have and usually are not going to be deterred by anything that is not both NACOSS installed and a current type.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

With that budget - nothing fancy - personally, I'd get all but one of the entrances upgraded with steel overgates (you could even do all of them - and have an emegency escape key hidden - or in one of those little break glass things). Nice thing is they bolt straight into the exterior masonry without disturbing existing doors. Their popularity in London atests to their effectiveness.

Oh - and I think Crime Prevention Officers (call your local police station) still do free surveys.

Reply to
dom

| |emma snipped-for-privacy@fastmail.fm wrote: |> Not sure how much this stuff is but if I can get a new solid interior |> door with a bit of security, a new exterior door and frame (I think the |> frame needs replacing as the current exterior door is only 35mm thick) |> with proper security < ~ ?400 that would be OK. That might be a bit |> more than B&Q but probably less than the others? | |With that budget - nothing fancy - personally, I'd get all but one of |the entrances upgraded with steel overgates (you could even do all of |them - and have an emegency escape key hidden - or in one of those |little break glass things). Nice thing is they bolt straight into the |exterior masonry without disturbing existing doors. Their popularity in |London atests to their effectiveness. | |Oh - and I think Crime Prevention Officers (call your local police |station) still do free surveys.

Am I glad we do not live in London, The main door is wide open in Sunny weather, and not locked except when we are all in bed, or the last one is in the bath.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

The former suggests you've just been done.

I'm talking about the hooded, quick 20 quid brigade. If your assets are sufficient to attract proper criminals, I guess you have to take serious measures.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

And thus will have lots of new goodies paid for by the insurance, ready for nicking in a couple of weeks' time.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Get your Plod adviser to come and look. I cannot remember what they are called, but just call your local police station and say that you'd like a visit "about your security, locks and things". Chat to the chap when he comes, and talk about "what if".... They can be really useful, and don't charge. You could also talk to a real locksmith (try

and talk on the 'phone about what advisory service they can provide), and have someone drop by to chat. These people have seen lots of burglaries (the aftermath, anyway) and are well placed to give you advice - you will most likely have to pay something, though. Ask first about price and "how well they're qualified to advise" (gently, but draw your own conclusions).

If you are serious about security/escape route, and are likely to spend money, at least the first thing, and very probably the second, is really worth doing. You could, with general advice given without the actual place being given the once over, just waste money by installing some useless things. There are (seriously!) more ways into a place than one might imagine.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Lots of advice already given, one thing I didn't spot was any suggestion to making the [new] door outward-opening (so that any attempt to force the door would push it into the frame, making the scrote's job that much more difficult) - considering the location I don't see any problem with that. Or am I missing something?

Reply to
Mike Dodd

You are ok its in Scotland - Livingston.

Reply to
Gordon Hudson

"Crime prevention officer".

HTH.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

In the US yes, in UK no, we have a high rate of hot prowl burglaries.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Fool, any burglar can get in through a wood door in seconds. I've seen it done. To have one in the location Emma describes, with no steel grille, is just dumb.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I wonder why that might be?

Reply to
Huge

Rubbish, pants, codswallop, carp. You seem to have no idea about this (pardon me if I'm responding to a froggery).

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Thank goodness.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I see. I've watched it done at close quarters, on my own front door unfortunately, and have worked with people who have done it, but sure, I dont have a clue. OK.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Both hinges and lock are much easier to attack on an outward opening door. You can fit dog bolts to hold the door in place if the hinges are destroyed, but a properly set-up inward opening door is still inherently more secure than an outward opening one.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

You might have seen a home-made or generally rubbish timber exterior door, or any timber door improperly fitted, or a timber door with low quality locks, fittings, or furniture "gone through in seconds", but a proper done job, no way.

OK.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

bzzt, wrong answer. This is burglary 101 stuff.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The police use variations on the battering ram and get through most doors in a few seconds. Is that what we are talking about?

Was it the police?

Reply to
marvelus